Small backgroud stand?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking for a small background stand for tabletop use. I've made one (out of Lego!) that's about 40cm square but I could really do with something that's around twice as big, up to a metre or so. Does such a thing exist? I realise there are large light tents but lighting isn't a problem and I think they would be awkward to work in for my needs. A shooting table might do if it had very short legs but they all seem more like chairs.....

If I've understood you correctly I'd look at any of the following:

Doughty nipper, Manfrotto 156BLB/Calumet MF6025 or one of those ubiquitous background stands with telescopic columns (Manfrotto 012B etc).

@simonbarker & @Bobsyeruncle Thanks for the suggestions but those are lighting stands and most of them wouldn't leave much space on the table if adapted to hold background material.

@Box Brownie Good find but no larger than the one I've already built.
Bingo! Not quite as large as I'd like but certainly worth a punt, especially as Pixapro sell it direct without the white vinyl. Selens also sell something similar but the Pixapro looks a better design. I have a 1 x 2 metre roll of vinyl so will see if I can cut it to width while rolled.

A bit later: I've found a Neewer T-stand that's 90 cm wide. It would have to stand on the floor behaind the table but that shouldn't be a problem as it goes up to 2 metres. So now that's got me thinking if I can adapt one of my lighting stands to take a T-piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
@simonbarker & @Bobsyeruncle Thanks for the suggestions but those are lighting stands and most of them wouldn't leave much space on the table if adapted to hold background material.

@Box Brownie Good find but no larger than the one I've already built.

Bingo! Not quite as large as I'd like but certainly worth a punt, especially as Pixapro sell it direct without the white vinyl. Selens also sell something similar but the Pixapro looks a better design. I have a 1 x 2 metre roll of vinyl so will see if I can cut it to width while rolled.
@Snapsh0t

Yup, PiXAPRO looked good when I looked at their site............. ;)

But I would think one might be able to "upsize" the Foamex homebrew design, subject to the max size of boards available?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how strong/durable the Foamex solution would be at a much larger size. Plus the cost of the boards makes the ready-made solutions more attractive, especially as they fold down for storage - a definite domestic bonus.....

Just to finish this off: I received my Pixapro tabletop background stand yesterday and it looks like it will let carry on making more silliness like this:

icecream.jpg

Doesn't quite fit my spec of 'tabletop' though, does it?

Doesn't quite fit my spec of 'tabletop' though, does it?
Why not? Attach your background of choice, raise the level you require, put the table in front of it, have higher subject to photograph then extend the rail up. Also use others of these with white sail cloth (off cuts) to diffuse light from a window or shoot through for flash, white cardboard for reflector and on wheels so easy to move about if the need be. Russ

Why not? Attach your background of choice, raise the level you require, put the table in front of it, have higher subject to photograph then extend the rail up. Also use others of these with white sail cloth (off cuts) to diffuse light from a window or shoot through for flash, white cardboard for reflector and on wheels so easy to move about if the need be. Russ
'Put the table in front' is tricky when it's the dining room table....
Also, this is a small house with enough storage problems as it is. The Pixapro stand folds down to virtually nothing for easy storage; I suspect the clothes rail doesn't.

Back