Smoke machines

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm getting into product photography and I need to add smoke/mist for some shots. I have a smoke machine for studio shots and I've tried using it but it's overkill for product shots. There is such a thing as a small smoke machine which I've seen in Youtube tutorials but no details of brand etc were given. Does anyone know where i can buy one? I have tried an aerosol spray but it's rubbish and also I got a vape pen but don't know how the damn thing works!

Attachments

• IMG_6890b.jpg
    IMG_6890b.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 27
Would Dry Ice do the job?

I've used a small smoke machine for innumerable product shots, no problem. The smoke needs to go both in front and behind the subject and very little is needed.
The smoke machine needs to have an outlet to which a plastic pipe can be clamped, and with careful positioning of the free end of the pipe, you'll have very fine control and will be able to control it further by having an assistant with a sheet of card or something there, just to make sure it doesn't go where it isn't wanted..

You can also put the free end of the pipe into a bucket of water, and even add a few ice cubes to it - this will cool the "smoke" and make it fall rather than rise, very useful.

As for make, can't remember - got it via ebay and it cost very little.

This may help https://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting-blog/using-a-fog-machine/#.Vjx1bisl-hE

Thanks, just found out it's called the Micro Fogger 2 but it's too expensive for casual use!

Back