Critique Snail and slug 1st time flashed

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, well ive been away for a week and had a great time in the land of the great red plonk. (Bourgogne) France
Anyway, heres some photos I took with the newly acquired flash and flash tube with diffuser on the end, still lots to learn with the flash but like I said, its my 1st time using it.
Ps, the snail is a Bourgogne snail, one of the best tasting snails (so ive been told) you can find.
The slug is not edible but just a tester for the flash.

View attachment 18310 View attachment 18311 View attachment 18313

Thanks for looking and any C&C is very welcome.

Wow Graham! Good lighting makes all the difference and you have great lighting.

That's a gorgeous looking snail, great texture on the skin and a lovely colour. I take it you had this as an entrée? ;)

Brilliant focal point for the slug considering neither of it's eyes are in focus. I mean, you can actually see inside it!

Thanks Timmy, As a 1st subject even I thought it came out well and really helps with the focus.
ewwww no thank you as a starter.
As for the slug, I really dont know what the hole is, im sure there is one on the other side.
This was the normal slug, in the forests there is bigger orange slugs.

Its such a massive jump in quality here Graham and think proof that lighting is everything in Macro.

They all look well exposed and the right temperature and focus is spot on even the slug the focus is on the right point.

:plus1: to you for your hard work

Thanks Bryn, like I said above, it helps. Shame I didnt take the flash and diffuser on the forest walk :(
But at least im happy with the outcome.

cool photos and fantastic lighting there graham - but I was hoping to see a slug and bottle of wine? :p

What is that hole in the side of it? something burrowed in and eating it from inside out? yuck!

cool photos and fantastic lighting there graham - but I was hoping to see a slug and bottle of wine? :p

What is that hole in the side of it? something burrowed in and eating it from inside out? yuck!

Hi Carl, that hole I have no idea and I dont think anything has started to eat at it, im sure I saw that on all of them.
Thanks for the comment and sorry there is no photo of a bottle of wine with a slug. :(

Hi Carl, that hole I have no idea and I dont think anything has started to eat at it, im sure I saw that on all of them.
Thanks for the comment and sorry there is no photo of a bottle of wine with a slug. :(
Just googled it - "pneumostome, which is their breathing apparatus on the right side of the mantle. " - how interesting!!

Quite right, and the breathing apparatus of invertebrates is a very interesting topic (well I believe so anyway).

Insects have similar structures called spiracles dotted along their bodies. Essentially they are just tubes that branch out and get smaller and smaller, but are in direct contact with the atmosphere and so allow oxygen to pass through and into the circulatory system. It's what keeps insects to a relatively small size. Contrary to common belief, that insects would collapse under their own weight if they grew too large, the exoskeletons of insects are very strong and able to hold up under immense pressure, but it is getting oxygen to the relevant parts of the body that is the more limiting factor to growth size (note prehistoric insects could grow to much larger sizes than we see today and this largely coincided with periods of high oxygen levels in the atmosphere).

Springtails, by contrast, breath directly through their skin (one of the conditions that lead to the recent decision to move them out of the Insect taxonomical grouping).

Birds/Reptiles and Mammals obviously developed internal breathing apparatus that was more efficient at supplying all areas of the body with oxygen and as a result where able to overcome some of these issues, but the bugs still have a few tricks up their sleeves. If you've ever watched a moth or a dragonfly preparing for flight it will often vibrate it's wings very rapidly but stay on it's perch for a while. Essentially it is using it's internal muscles to flex the carapace and create movement of air in the spiracles to promote oxygen absorption (similar to free divers who hyperventilate to get enough oxygen in their blood before they go under).

At the risk of sounding like a biology teacher, that pneumostome on the slug tells us the answer to an interesting question. Which came first, the slug or the snail?

Last edited:
Quite right, and the breathing apparatus of invertebrates is a very interesting topic (well I believe so anyway).

Insects have similar structures called spiracles dotted along their bodies. Essentially they are just tubes that branch out and get smaller and smaller, but are in direct contact with the atmosphere and so allow oxygen to pass through and into the circulatory system. It's what keeps insects to a relatively small size. Contrary to common belief, that insects would collapse under their own weight if they grew too large, the exoskeletons of insects are very strong and able to hold up under immense pressure, but it is getting oxygen to the relevant parts of the body that is the more limiting factor to growth size (note prehistoric insects could grow to much larger sizes than we see today and this largely coincided with periods of high oxygen levels in the atmosphere).

Springtails, by contrast, breath directly through their skin (one of the conditions that lead to the recent decision to move them out of the Insect taxonomical grouping).

Birds/Reptiles and Mammals obviously developed internal breathing apparatus that was more efficient at supplying all areas of the body with oxygen and as a result where able to overcome some of these issues, but the bugs still have a few tricks up their sleeves. If you've ever watched a moth or a dragonfly preparing for flight it will often vibrate it's wings very rapidly but stay on it's perch for a while. Essentially it is using it's internal muscles to flex the carapace and create movement of air in the spiracles to promote oxygen absorption (similar to free divers who hyperventilate to get enough oxygen in their blood before they go under).

At the risk of sounding like a biology teacher, that pneumostome on the slug tells us the answer to an interesting question. Which came first, the slug or the snail?

Now that is very interesting Timmy, thanks for the info. :)
And now we know.

very good, good enough to eat, they are not bad just done in the oven with garlic and butter

Still don't know the answer to that question. Lol
LOL, sorry Bryn, the info is all there but I suppose it is a bit cryptic.

Ok so it goes like this. Initially oxygen transfer (most likely through osmosis in the sea) was undertaken directly through the skin. At some point organisms developed hard outer skins as a defensive mechanism (shells in molluscs, carapaces in crustaceans) and they need an alternate method of oxygen transfer, some kind of valve for example as the soft tissues were no longer exposed to the outside environment. The pneumostome is one of such apparatus, opening into an internal lung-like structure. It is shared by both slugs and snails and therefore they share a common ancestor. One with a shell or, in other words, the snail came first.

Hope that makes sense (and I hope I'm right, usually I would go off and double check to ensure I'm not making this up, but I haven't in this case).

The next logical question to ask is "why did the slug lose it's shell?" But I don't know the answer to that yet...

BTW +1 for the snails with butter, garlic and parsley. You really should try them if you haven't before.

very good, good enough to eat, they are not bad just done in the oven with garlic and butter

Haha thanks Bill, next time I go there ill send you some via snail mail...:D;):D

if you do eat them, they need feeding, then purging before cooking ……. my neighbour collects and cooks them quite regularly

they are good to eat

if you do eat them, they need feeding, then purging before cooking ……. my neighbour collects and cooks them quite regularly

they are good to eat
Ill pass on the eating bit thanks Bill :puke:

Urgh snails and slugs.....not keen on em tbh Graham ad defo not to eat :puke: :D

Photography wise, yes they're pretty darned good.......your flash purchase has already paid off and will no doubt prove invaluable as you further master your macro skills.(y)

Back