Snake in the grass (Adder)

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly, sorry about the quality of the shot....it's poor I know. Was out walking yesterday and I don't usually look at the ground when walking and looking for landscape shots but, caught something lying on this narrow path only 2 paces in front of me. It was obviously sunbathing and to say I nearly sh*t myself would be an understatement. It lay there for a couple of seconds......giving me time to change the white balance settings (as it was set for IR) lower the iso and take off shutter lock up. I had the 50mm on and still shaking from excitement and having the shock of my life, I got this (don't know if it's me shaking or bad focus from me shaking but the shutter speed was 1/1000 @ f4) anyway this was my first shot.

adder.jpg

Then I tried getting just a little nearer, leaning into it and about to press the shutter again......when a bird flew right over my head, with a beating of its wings that sounded like a helicopter, well I jumped so high, I didn't know what it was or what was happening......which disturbed the snake and as it headed for the undergrowth on the otherside of the path, I managed to get one more shot.....which is even worse than this one as by that time there was a whole lotta shaking going on. I wouldn't care but the camera is set for multiple shots, so I don't know why I didn't just keep my finger on the shutter button.

Anyway, that's the first one I've seen....even though I live in an area that's riddled with them.
And dare I say the first on the board......(waiting for Mark).

TFL.
Ken.

:LOL: I bet you did **** yourself coming across that Ken.

When I'm out walking I always keep off the beaten track so often find myself wading through tall grass etc and always fear coming across something like that.

Hey, well done Ken. Ive always wanted to see an adder...good job you had your camera with you.

I've never seen one before, and in my pure ignorance, I'd have just thought it was a grass snake :LOL:

KenCo1964 said:
And dare I say the first on the board......(waiting for Mark).
You definately got me there mate. I've never seen one in the 'wild'.

Well done, close up portrait shot next time eh ;)

Well captured - definately a rare sight, never seen one myself, infact if I ever did I would probably think it had escaped from somewhere or something ;)

To tell you the truth, it never really crossed my mind what kind of snake it was....just to get shots. After the fact I thought it must have been an adder but wasn't sure until I got home and searched the net.

A small bit of info....
The adder is the only poisonous snake native to Britain. Adders have the most highly developed poison injecting mechanism of all snakes, but they are not aggressive animals. Adders will only use their poison as a last means of defence, usually if caught or trodden on. No one has died from adder bite in Britain for over 20 years. With proper treatment, the worst effects are nausea and drowsiness, followed by severe swelling and bruising in the area of the bite. Most people who are bitten were handling the snake. Treat adders with respect and leave them alone.

From here
TFL.
Ken.

He's lovely! Nicely spotted and captured! (y)

thats pretty funky Ken!

Back