So I just got an old iMac - bit of help please

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Using Zoom video-conferencing on an iPad or laptop with a group of 100+ people since March has been challenging!
So I recently bought an old 21.5" late 2009 iMac to use instead and it is working well and I just want to perk it up a little bit ... but I've never used a Mac/iMac before.
I've increased the RAM from 4GB to 12GB and I wanted to use an existing 240GB SSD via Firewire to slightly increase boot speed and access speed - I know this isn't the best option and I will probably replace the existing HDD in due course but this is my plan initially as I've established it can improve things.

Here's what I have done.
Plugged the SSD into the iMac USB port and performed an Erase.
Downloaded and installed 'Shirt Pocket - Super Duper' and using it 'cloned' the existing Macintosh HD to the SSD using 'Backup all' ... everything completed successfully inc setup as Boot drive.
The SSD shows up in 'Disk Utility', mounted and appears to be fine, matching the Macintosh HDD as far as I can see (journalled).
Using 'System Preferences' . 'Startup Disk' the only disk showing is the original Macintosh, the SSD is not shown as an option to choose.

When I restart, holding down the Option (Alt) key I get the Boot choice screen but the only options I see are the original Macintosh HD, Recovery or EFI ... no SSD to choose.

As I said, never used a Mac/iMac before so not sure what else to try in order to get the SSD as a Boot option... any help appreciated,

Last edited:
Was typing a long answer then wondered if your model iMac will boot from USB.

Older models don't as far as I am aware. Also, I think your machine has USB2 which is a bit slow for booting. It is Firewire 800 as far as I can see.

Was typing a long answer then wondered if your model iMac will boot from USB.

Older models don't as far as I am aware. Also, I think your machine has USB2 which is a bit slow for booting. It is Firewire 800 as far as I can see.

It is USB2 and you may be right. I don't know.
It has a Firewire 800 port and I have a Firewire 800 caddy on its way (somewhere!!!) - I know that it does boot from an external Firewire 800 drive.

Well I re-did the whole Erase > Super-Duper again and this time it did show up on the Option startup and booted up on the SSD albeit slowly.
It won't show up in System Preferences > Startup Disk so I am guessing that it wouldn't be possible to use set it as the regular Boot drive even if I wanted to.
It clearly didn't like running from the USB SSD drive so I didn't stress it but at least I know that it will boot from that drive.
Just wait for DHL to eventually deliver my Firewire caddy now to try it again.

Firewire Caddy sounds the job. (y)

I have a Mac mini with USB2 but have successfully booted off FireWire FWIW. I find this site invaluable for information on older macs:

I’ve done a fair bit of booting my late 2012 Mac mini off USB, Firewire and Thunderbolt and have found it a bit unpredidictable whether it will see them as boot disks if more than one is connected. The internal drive is blank & wiped so it shouldn’t be a factor in my case but may be in yours.

I have a Mac mini with USB2 but have successfully booted off FireWire FWIW. I find this site invaluable for information on older macs:

I’ve done a fair bit of booting my late 2012 Mac mini off USB, Firewire and Thunderbolt and have found it a bit unpredidictable whether it will see them as boot disks if more than one is connected. The internal drive is blank & wiped so it shouldn’t be a factor in my case but may be in yours.
Thanks for the link (y)

Back