So I want to print a 10”x10” image to fit a frame

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
Any advise please I have a frame 10”x10” I want to put in a printed image with a one inch white equal boarder and guessing I can crop the image,. I think will need to use A3 paper, so any help on the best way to do this in photoshop or lightroom.

What type of frame and are you intended to put the print in a mount or directly into the frame with the printed surface touching the glazing?

It is possible in PS to expand the canvas as it is called to add a border but based on what you just print the image 9 x 9inches onto A3 then as you say you can simply cut it to 10 x 10 to suit thus creating the border :)

PS and IMO it is not best to put a print into a frame with the printed surface in contact with the glazing

Last edited:
What type of frame and are you intended to put the print in a mount or directly into the frame with the printed surface touching the glazing?

It is possible in PS to expand the canvas as it is called to add a border but based on what you just print the image 9 x 9inches onto A3 then as you say you can simply cut it to 10 x 10 to suit thus creating the border :)

PS and IMO it is not best to put a print into a frame with the printed surface in contact with the glazing
The print I want to put into the image is black & whte but please tell me more about not putting it aganst the glass, very happy to take advice, What about if I put a mount instead of the one Inch boarder on thre print. Would this been enough to stop it touching the glass. I have also seen a permaseal spray that can spray on my image would that help at all

The print I want to put into the image is black & whte but please tell me more about not putting it aganst the glass, very happy to take advice, What about if I put a mount instead of the one Inch boarder on thre print. Would this been enough to stop it touching the glass. I have also seen a permaseal spray that can spray on my image would that help at all
I think the mount would look better and yes it would stop the image touching the glass.

I would use a mount, as your image is black & white you could consider a white mount with a black core or a black mount with a white core?

Firstly in regard to keeping the printed surface away from the glazing. The risk is simply that the print, due to moisture content in the atmosphere could/would cause it to 'stick' to the glazing!

As you are working to "fit to a frame" with a narrow border, I would suggest you go with what I first suggested (to do the print) and include a custom mount as advised by @admirable

If you go to a custom mount cutter and request 9 x 9inch cutout with 10 x 10inch outer size "they" should cut the window 3mm smaller so that you cover the edges of the print. Therefore make sure that you do not have important parts of your image area that extend to the edge of the image area.

PS I know nowt of spray sealing but thought they were intended for un-glazed framed prints!

Last edited:
Sounds a lot easier to do to me but I do frame all my own stuff. First thing I'd crop to 8x8 in Picassa, that's what I use! Then cut a white matt 10x10 with the opening maybe 1/4" smaller than the picture all the way around. hang the picture on the back of the matt and drop it in the frame. At the front you'll see your photo inside a white matt that is 10x10 and fit's in the frame. Matts holds the picture off the glass.

Back