So where did you go to school?

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
For me my first school days were in the white building above the others. It is now a hostel for walkers etc. Better than lying empty & decaying.
GP1.jpg

Looking back over to the village from roughly around where I was brought up. If I had £1 for every time I fell in the river I would be very rich.:D
GP2.jpg

wow that seriously looks in the middle of nowere.... My schools have always been a little more "urban"

Lovely place to grow up, Charlie.

If I'd have been one of your class mates you'd have been a millionaire by now, because I'd have pushed you in the river so many times!! :D

Thanks folks glad you enjoyed. I expect you would have tried anyway Janice.
I should point out that on my first day at school. When lunch time I decided that enough was enough & I went home home.

My biggest disappointment, on my first day of school was finding out I had to go back the following day.
Two great shots there.

My biggest disappointment, on my first day of school was finding out I had to go back the following day.
Two great shots there.

A man after my own spirit!(y)

By the way. There were only two in my class with a roll of 14 in total for some of the time I was there. Usually it was about 9 though. Only one room too for primary 1 - 7. One teacher Miss Neill. She was a good one.

Last edited:
My school days were spent in rural Oxfordshire (not quite as rural as the above pics, though). I've spent the last 30-odd years trying to forget all about them. I can't believe the education system wasted so many years of my life!
Andy.

A man after my own spirit!(y)

By the way. There were only two in my class with a roll of 14 in total for some of the time I was there. Usually it was about 9 though. Only one room too for primary 1 - 7. One teacher Miss Neill. She was a good one.

Sounds idyllic to me. And to be surrounded by all the wildlife and scenery. You must think you're in heaven.

Beautiful scenery Charlie. What a wonderful place to have grown up and gone to school. Lovely captures (y)

Nicely captured :)
I went to 20 or so shools in all, mostly in England, some in Gemany, Cyprus and Malta, but non of them were set in such idyllic surroundings. Beautiful scenery.

Beautiful scenery Charlie. What a wonderful place to have grown up and gone to school. Lovely captures (y)

Thank you. I enjoyed the primary school there but the secondary was a case of a 9 mile bus run to Kirriemuir. If I am being honest I hated the whole experience of secondary education. All I wanted to do was get home & get out there to see what was about.

Nicely captured :)
I went to 20 or so shools in all, mostly in England, some in Gemany, Cyprus and Malta, but non of them were set in such idyllic surroundings. Beautiful scenery.

You got around a bit! I return to the glen as often as I can. Might even be a wee bit ground in the graveyard with my name on it!:D

my old secondary school got bulldozed last year. Knew it was gong to happen as they'd built the new one a mile up the road. Still made me happy when I first drove past a VERY large pile of rubble. I nearly crashed my little car!

Actually sawman seeing that I can understand why you hated secondary school. 9 miles on a bus every day, twice a day for what?

my old secondary school got bulldozed last year. Knew it was gong to happen as they'd built the new one a mile up the road. Still made me happy when I first drove past a VERY large pile of rubble. I nearly crashed my little car!

Actually sawman seeing that I can understand why you hated secondary school. 9 miles on a bus every day, twice a day for what?

For what? Not a lot really.:LOL:
I have enjoyed my working life among timber though.

Two lovely scenes Charlie #1 pips it for me!

Pity such great scenes are linked with a rotten experience for you! :(

Looks like a nice place. The first works better because of the nice light. The 2nd is pretty flat because there's no light on the scene. The brown colours, and dead / dying trees make it feel a bit dull really.

What a nice place to go to school. I bet it was great when it snowed.

If I am being honest I hated the whole experience of secondary education. All I wanted to do was get home & get out there to see what was about.

I'm with you on that one Charlie.

obj_pls_image

stolen from the website, wouldn't go near the place to take a photo, would probably be arrested, pompus ********s.
colleges claim to fame : harry enfield went there

Two lovely scenes Charlie #1 pips it for me!

Pity such great scenes are linked with a rotten experience for you! :(

A wee story! That hill behind the school where there are some trees growing. Many years ago that hill was covered in Larch trees which were felled for the war effort.
There are a few which were spared the axe (probably because they were too small) still dotted around.
This year on Remembrance Day I went up that hill & stood under the spreading branches of one for my two minutes silence. I just felt it helped me connect better than going to a parade or service.
Anyway, as I stood waiting for 11am a pair of Raven flew in very close (about 30ft) & simply flew round & round that tree calling all the time. This went on till a few secs before 11am then they flew off.
I had my two mins then just as I was about to leave 4 Buzzard started to circle the tree , close in & gradually getting higher, till they were out of sight.
It was something I will remember for a long time.

Looks like a nice place. The first works better because of the nice light. The 2nd is pretty flat because there's no light on the scene. The brown colours, and dead / dying trees make it feel a bit dull really.

Agree with your thoughts on the light of 2. There is however not a single dead / dying tree there. It was winter and the leaves were off the trees.

I was born in Kettering, one of my earliest memories is hanging onto the school gate not wanting to go in, when we graduated to juniors I can remember an english teacher called Miss White.

She must have been 60, 1/2 way through the lesson she'd ask for volunteers to wash her car for a bag of crisps, every boy in the class would stick their hand up and 3 got picked, the rest of the lesson we were up to our armpits in soapy suds:D

school in the early 70s was a little different to now:LOL:

I went to Chipping Ongar Primary school, in Essex.

My teacher, Miss Barker, who was the headmaster's sister when I was 10 years old in 1969, was a heavy smoker and had forgotten her cigarettes.

So she got me and a boy from my class to walk the mile and a half home to her house to get her cigarettes!!!

Was much better than being at school! :D

Last edited:
Lovely setting for a school Charlie... :D... I can only dream of what it must have been like... :shrug:

Makes William Fletcher Secondary Modern, Bognor Regis, latterly Bognor Comprehensive, sound somehow lame in comparison... :eek:

Consolation was we only lived 100 yards away... :LOL:

:p

Lovely setting for a school Charlie... :D... I can only dream of what it must have been like... :shrug:

Makes William Fletcher Secondary Modern, Bognor Regis, latterly Bognor Comprehensive, sound somehow lame in comparison... :eek:

Consolation was we only lived 100 yards away... :LOL:

:p

It was ok. On good summer days we got to take our desks outside. Didnae dae much though!

Lucky You!

I also remember the coming of the electric light to the Glen!
Before that we used paraffin lamps.
The electric light seemed very cold after the heat from the tilley lamps.

Back