Soft Sigma Lens

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
my 24-70 is a little soft and want it sorting, i emailed them about it stating its just over a year old and they told me to send it in with a covering letter etc, but i dont want to send it off thinking everything is fine, and then get hit with a big bill.

Has anyone sent anything like this to Sigma before?

Mike

in the covering letter, state that you want to be informed of any paid work before it commences. you wont get a big bill without knowing first that way

in the covering letter, state that you want to be informed of any paid work before it commences. you wont get a big bill without knowing first that way

Nice, thanks :)

as its an EX lens did you register it for the extra 2 years warrenty?

my 24-70 is a little soft and want it sorting, i emailed them about it stating its just over a year old and they told me to send it in with a covering letter etc, but i dont want to send it off thinking everything is fine, and then get hit with a big bill.

Has anyone sent anything like this to Sigma before?

Mike

Erm, nope! Damn it!!!

They will do that anyway. Check the website, it does list the service charges which include postage. And you needed to register it within 1 month to get the extra 2 years of free cover.

They will do that anyway. Check the website, it does list the service charges which include postage. And you needed to register it within 1 month to get the extra 2 years of free cover.

Is that the PDF file? I cant read them at work :(

I had a 10-20 re-calibrated by Sigma, it came back like new after a service and clean and it was £35.00 or there abouts. It is worth ringing and speaking to somebody in the service department for a quote first.

they will not touch it untill you accept the quote. My 70-200 went in for front focusing and should hopefully have back tomorrow after nearly 4 weeks (through a combiantion of sigma and my fault)

its 33.99 for the calibration which is the same thing yours will go through. Its best to send off with the body otherwise they will just put it on their test rig and calibrate to that.

they are proffesionals and bar a minor lack of communication they are great to deal with. my quote was sent out by them the day they received it. If all went well i should of had it back after 2 weeks.

Took you long enough to decide it was soft.

And?

I used the lens for band photography, shooting in poor light, ISO1600+ at speeds of 1/50 @ f2.8 with no flash. Thought it was just that.

tbf oldfella has a point, whether a canon lens or 3rd party, i make sure i test them thoroughly before doing any work with them.

but yes it will only cost you 33.99 + postage for the re-assurance that the lens works spot on with the body.

the situation you mentioned is no where ideal and to be honest i would of just guessed it was the shooting conditions. Did you not get any sharp shots

tbf oldfella has a point, whether a canon lens or 3rd party, i make sure i test them thoroughly before doing any work with them.

but yes it will only cost you 33.99 + postage for the re-assurance that the lens works spot on with the body.

the situation you mentioned is no where ideal and to be honest i would of just guessed it was the shooting conditions. Did you not get any sharp shots

Yeah, its not THAT soft, its just not as sharp on similar shots taken with the 17-70 and it really should be sharper then that!

Sent off today, found the receipt. Only bought it June last year.
Will keep you updated on the progress

Sent off today, found the receipt. Only bought it June last year.
Will keep you updated on the progress

Got a letter from Sigma today, as the lens was bought in HK, wouldnt repair under warrenty, Not surprised. £33.99 for a Adjustment on the Circut and recalibration. Posted off payment today, wonder how long it will take to get back, so far i'm impressed with service

I had the same lens, with the same problem. You will be looking at 10-14 days.

Got a letter from Sigma today, as the lens was bought in HK, wouldnt repair under warrenty, Not surprised. £33.99 for a Adjustment on the Circut and recalibration. Posted off payment today, wonder how long it will take to get back, so far i'm impressed with service

Did you end up sending the body in with it? Not sure I could do without to be honest!

Did you end up sending the body in with it? Not sure I could do without to be honest!

Nah, its gunna be a tight turn around before my next shoot, so didnt want to risk sending the whole lot off and then not having my gear before i got it back. Its a risk sending it without the body, but riskier not getting it back in time for the shoot!

they had my 120-300mm for about 5-6 weeks. so hopefully you will have it back sooner than that.

A certain brown substance will hit a fan if thats the case!

Lens arrived back today.
Will update after giving it a test tonight (y)

:popcorn:

Will be interested to know how you got on. I've got a Sigma 150-500 which is soft (regulars would have seen me moan about it for a couple of months now) but just haven't got round to sending it off.

The results are in.......Its alot sharper!
The test shots i took were only very basic, nothing special, but have shown a big improvement on what they were like before.
This restores my faith in Sigma, and they do have some damn good lenses in their range. If you have a soft copy, i'd send it off to be sorted.

Will be putting the 24-70 through its paces a bit more hopefully over the weekend, but i dont doubt the results will still be more impressive then they were previously

i'd be worried sending them through the post

Back