Softbox shape

Edit My Images
Yes
Does the shape of a softbox have an effect at all?

After reading the 'softbox for 70p' thread I found a few of what I can only describe as square cones. Flat sides with square opening approx. 6" x 6" tapering down to a 2" round base.

They're white as well so that's another few pennies saved in paint ;)

Also, would muslin be suitable to cover the opening?

Does the shape of a softbox have an effect at all??

yes :D

hope this helps....

md(y)

sorry to be fair it does make a difference but for what i know its all about the catchlight in the eye.

as a octagonal softbox will give a circular catchlight as oppose to a square one ..

for what i know the round catchlights are more in keeping with the sun .. as in a natural cathlight..

hope this helps

if i'm wrong i'm sure someone will be along to correct me..

md(y)

MD is right the only difference in the softbox shape will be the catchlight shape and the catchlight from a round / octagonal softbox IMHO looks better.

The key in softboxes is the soft light they produce and that comes from the size of the softbox front, the reflectivity of the inside material, the power of the light and the diffusing but not blocking capabilites of the material for the front.

I would imagine a fine muslin could be used but I would probably try a cheap white plastic shower curtain as I know people who have used this very successfully for a light tent.

I'll give it a go and see what happens. Found a similar question asked on another forum with one reply saying a square softbox produces a catchlight like that of window light. See if my tiny DIY jobbie gives similar results.

It's fun learning this stuff. Common sense and experimentation.

Back