Softboxes and all that jazz

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
After reading through some blogs, the odd book and old photo mags it looks like there are a fair few people out there that seem to believe that the simplest way to start off in studio photography is to keep things simple: one or two lights, a reflector or two and the biggest softbox imaginable.

Any contradictory thoughts on this would be welcome.

But really I was wondering what people thought of the relatively cheap softboxes on offer on the auction sites?

For about 50 quid there is a lencarta 150cm octagon soft box and a Walimex 140cm with gold/silver inserts. Has anybody ever used these or does anybody have any other suggestions?

I'm likely to just be doing single person or one adult and a baby portraits in a home studio.. I already have a 65cm and a 53cm... do you think getting something larger would be useful... or am I just trying overcome my own inadequacies by buying stuff... at least I haven't suggested upgrading my nifty 50 for a 24-70 L..... yet!

I have a (small) softbox, but I'm awaiting delivery of a 100cm shoot-through white umbrella with a black backing which should give a similar effect. Price? For that plus a 70cm version £23 the pair delivered.....

I made my own softboxes. Built six and cost me less than $100. They do they job just as well as any.

My portable softbox is a washing up bowl. Cost me $1.50 and $3 for the material. This photo was taken with it.

The KISS principle - yes, definately, but not necessarily the biggest softbox possible - the type of modifiers used will be affected by the style(s) of photography, type of subject and available space.

The Walmex softbox is very good value for money IMO. I produced a comparison video which you can see herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJ_RwMSvcw and I later carried out some quick and easy improvements that made a world of difference. It's a recent addition to my basic lighting guides

As far as I can tell, the Lencarta one is the same as the Walmex, although I can't be completely sure.

Back