Softboxes for flashguns.

Dave Hobby on his strobist blog says he uses a LumiQuest Soft Box III a lot and is one of the few items always in his kit.

not having that or a sto-fen I can comment on which would work better. My guess is they are aimed to do slightly different things.

I am after the lumiquest as i use off camera flash and want a softbox for portraits. I'd imagine that would give a softer more even light than a sto-fen perhaps? :shrug:

Flash in the Pan is probably the guy to ask, fabs. His info has helped me along with me flash photography.

Sorry I can't help more pal,

Rob

The lumiquest3 is tiny. How big a softbox do you want? Look at the magic softbox on photomart.co.uk or the bigger Lastolite ones.

Thanks for the replies.

Kev, I was looking at the Lumiquest LQ108 as I'm looking for something that can be used with the flashgun on the camera as well as off. I've just looked at the Magic one on Photomart but it doesn't appear to be for use with a hotshoe flashgun.

This might be interesting reading for you fabs. Looks like we are looking at pretty much the same thing.

I currently have a sto-fen diffuser for my flashgun, but I have been looking at softboxes. Would a softbox work better than the sto-fen?

If you want a large-ish softbox to use with the hotshoe flash, then you have a couple of options:

1) Lastolite Ezybox - medium sized and especially designed to be used with hotshoe flashguns - prices around 100 pounds (smaller sizes for a bit less)

2) Westcott Apollos - all sizes rectangular softboxes that folds like umbrellas. Very portable and the best variety of sizes but is quite expensive

3) Photek Softlighter - decagonal softbox (10 sides - looks like umbrella) that folds like umbrella and can in addition be used as umbrella. Comes in medium to large sizes and is relatively inexpensive taking a size into account. Importing one in UK will cost roughly the same as buying Ezybox.

This page explains all of them in some details and usage with Nikon hotshoe flash.

Thanks Rob, an interesting read. (y)

Indeed. Taking into account the fact he could be bias as he is taking the shots for lumiquest, it still shows some interesting things you can do with one.

I'm not sure you'd be able achieve the same with a sto-fen. The Lumiquest SB3 seems to be coming in at around £40, I have found it for £43 in warehouse express.

I have to say I'm tempted, looks like it could be fun.

If you want a large-ish softbox to use with the hotshoe flash, then you have a couple of options:

1) Lastolite Ezybox - medium sized and especially designed to be used with hotshoe flashguns - prices around 100 pounds (smaller sizes for a bit less)

2) Westcott Apollos - all sizes rectangular softboxes that folds like umbrellas. Very portable and the best variety of sizes but is quite expensive

3) Photek Softlighter - decagonal softbox (10 sides - looks like umbrella) that folds like umbrella and can in addition be used as umbrella. Comes in medium to large sizes and is relatively inexpensive taking a size into account. Importing one in UK will cost roughly the same as buying Ezybox.

This page explains all of them in some details and usage with Nikon hotshoe flash.

Thanks for that. Not really looking to spend that much though.

Thanks for the replies.

Kev, I was looking at the Lumiquest LQ108 as I'm looking for something that can be used with the flashgun on the camera as well as off. I've just looked at the Magic one on Photomart but it doesn't appear to be for use with a hotshoe flashgun.

It's about as good as you'll get on camera but I wouldn't bother with it unless you couldn't bounce the flash off something, it's barely any bigger than the flash head so it's not going to make that much difference IMO.

If you want a softbox for off camera flash I wouldn't even look at it.

Indeed. Taking into account the fact he could be bias as he is taking the shots for lumiquest, it still shows some interesting things you can do with one.

I'm not sure you'd be able achieve the same with a sto-fen. The Lumiquest SB3 seems to be coming in at around £40, I have found it for £43 in warehouse express.

I have to say I'm tempted, looks like it could be fun.

Now I'm not sure whether to get the ebay one (£22) or the Lumiquest III. budget is tight at the moment.

It's about as good as you'll get on camera but I wouldn't bother with it unless you couldn't bounce the flash off something, it's barely any bigger than the flash head so it's not going to make that much difference IMO.

If you want a softbox for off camera flash I wouldn't even look at it.

Thanks Kev. Lots to think about then. I'm really looking for a good all rounder so may wait until I can spend a little bit more.

photomart flashgun softbox for off camera use.

Seriously, if you're thinking about using one of them things for on camera use save your money and buy "light science and magic" or something.

photomart flashgun softbox for off camera use.

Seriously, if you're thinking about using one of them things for on camera use save your money and buy "light science and magic" or something.

Now that one looks good. OK, maybe I should be looking at these for off camera use and sticking with the stofen for on camera. I use off camera far more anyway. Thanks again Kev.

Tupperware pot, scissors, piece of clean white cloth (like that from an old shirt), tin foil.

Cut a hole in the base of the tupperware pot so it's a snug fit on the flash head.

Put tinfoil inside the pot and press it against the sides, use double sided tape if necessary.

Stretch the white material over the top of the tupperware pot and attach to the rim with an elastic band.

Will do the job just as well as any other.

Tupperware pot, scissors, piece of clean white cloth (like that from an old shirt), tin foil.

Cut a hole in the base of the tupperware pot so it's a snug fit on the flash head.

Put tinfoil inside the pot and press it against the sides, use double sided tape if necessary.

Stretch the white material over the top of the tupperware pot and attach to the rim with an elastic band.

Will do the job just as well as any other.

Is that similar to the Gary Fong lightsphere? Hmmm, never was that good with the Blue Peter stuff.

Now I'm not sure whether to get the ebay one (£22) or the Lumiquest III. budget is tight at the moment.

Now that one looks good. OK, maybe I should be looking at these for off camera use and sticking with the stofen for on camera. I use off camera far more anyway. Thanks again Kev.

The Lumiquest SB 3 is substantially larger, so you may find that more useful but if budget is tight then maybe the LQ108 might be ok to see how you get on. Personally I'd be tempted to wait and get the larger one, but thats just down personal choice.

Your more likely to use the larger one off camera IMHO, you'd probably find it quite limiting and that it gets in the way on camera.

I'll be interested to know what you decide fabs, and to see any rusults of the new kit. Good luck!

Rob

Back