Software for converting music files to MP3 files

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
I,m looking for a piece of software so i can convert music files to MP3, must be really simple and straight forward to use for a quick hassle free conversion, and of course cheap or preferably free :D, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

If you put a CD in the drive then open windows media player then rip it'll rip it straight to the hard drive

I,m looking for a piece of software so i can convert music files to MP3, must be really simple and straight forward to use for a quick hassle free conversion, and of course cheap or preferably free :D, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

What kind of music files would those be?

If you want to rip cd's then Windows Media Player will do that as already mentioned by wack61. If you want to convert from say a wav to mp3 then a free open source program called audacity is good.

I,m looking for a piece of software so i can convert music files to MP3, must be really simple and straight forward to use for a quick hassle free conversion, and of course cheap or preferably free :D
Try downloading dBpoweramp and follow this guide to CD ripping.

Windows Media Player
Real Player
Media Monkey
Media Jukebox

All Free and all do a great job although I use Real player for burning CD's as it is easier to keep the band and title data

Windows Media Player
Real Player
Media Monkey
Media Jukebox

All Free and all do a great job although I use Real player for burning CD's as it is easier to keep the band and title data

Me too.

I think windows media player must be the easiest option if you run windows already and want to rip to MP3

We took advice from the Sonos distributor about what to do before ripping a large CD library ready for a Sonos installation and that was their advice.

We set the bit rate at the maximum (is it 320 I can't recall) and just kept feeding CDs into the machine whenever we got the chance until they were all done.

what are you trying to rip wmp and itunes both rip cds, itunes also rips wav into mp3 for ipods (or at least it used to i havent used it for a few years) theres plenty online to rip one format to another if you google it and check its not crappy annoying trial stuff.
If it's LP's your ripping then you get USB decks with their own software or you can hook a deck up to a mic input 9might need something to level them off) and record it as an input i'm sure theres preinstalled software for this, I use cooledit pro to record open mike nights but thats paid for stuff

Thanks for all the replies, i'm using windows media player, but when i rip the music from a CD then burn it to another CD it's quite obvious it's not going on the burn CD in MP3 format because as i understand you can get quite a lot of MP3 files on CD, but i'm getting about 20 tracks, so i'm obviously doing something wrong :shrug:

You need to burn them as data files not music files!

Windows media player. Just go to the options and set the audio quality at whatever you want. I do them at 192kbs and i think CD quality is 160kbs [kbs may be the wrong term, i cant remember] and set to burn to MP3 file. The file will be saved in My Documents/My Music.

iTune is good to.

For what you want to do - check out previous replies.

If you ever want to convert a music file from one type to another - check out Switch.

I use tunebite you'll need the lame plugin for this one aswell.

Back