Solitude

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
So much to do and so little time to do it, even if there wasn't, the weather has been very poor here over the last couple of weeks. So been going through some of my pics, don't think I have uploaded this before but either way I have reprocessed it. I have quite a few that I have never wanted to bin, this being one of them.

isolation9ne.jpg

solitudecolour0nv.jpg

solitudebw1wo.jpg

It was taken with a 300d and sigma 28-200???
Thanks.
Ken.

Very nice Ken. Nice and simple, I like that a lot. I could with a fortnight there - do you think there's an Internet connection laid on. :ponders:

I like the pic. I find a lot of your stuff a bit "busy", Ken, but I like the simplicity of this one.
CT said:
I could [do] with a fortnight there - do you think there's an Internet connection laid on. :ponders:
Lets just say that its surprising how many people are connected to the internet on unsecured wireless networks these days ;)

KenCo1964 said:
That's the post just landing.

LOL. Why is the water level dipping as it goes behind the building? :ponders:

I knew you'd have some lame excuse. :D

Fairy nuff then. :getmecoat

I thought it was water too :embarasse

Love the simplicity of the shot, the composition, and the contrast between the colours.

I actually liked the pic better when I thought it was water. Had a "last place on earth" feel about it...

CT said:
That bird actually makes the shot. :)
I thought that, although I was tempted to cut and paste in a different place. The only thing stopping me was I wasn't sure where else to put it.:D

I think it's a super shot Ken.................but, my brain is confused as to whether the cow byre is sitting on the front hillock or the moors behind. Oh...and I don't know where people get water from :ponders: They're clearly not from Gods' Chosen Land :woot:

regards

Thanks Mike, Stepheno....
stepheno said:
.................but, my brain is confused as to whether the cow byre is sitting on the front hillock or the moors behind.
I shot this from atleast a field or 2 away and from a much lower vantage point looking up to the building. Which is probably what is causing your confusion.

stepheno said:
Oh...and I don't know where people get water from :ponders: They're clearly not from Gods' Chosen Land :woot:
Townies:D

Nice composition there, but a lot of noise/pixellation in sky ? From reading lots on Mono conversions one thing that I have picked up on is not to sharpen skys due to above problem.....usually end up masking sky from sharpening & use levels only for sky . How does this compare with your processing Ken ?

DJW said:
From reading lots on Mono conversions
:ponders: :ponders: :ponders:
No mono conversions, no levels, no masks and no noise reduction software....I don't mind the noise......:D And infact think it can add to the mood. I have only just started to get the hang of processing each step on seperate layers so masking (which I am cr@p at) is some way off yet. As for sharpening...the only sharpening that gets done is from using the TPFaction which resizes for web at the same time, call me lazy but as long as the larger image is fine, I'm happy. As it is I only get to use my camera one day a week....If I'm lucky! and practising my processing is as frequent or less, so It's a long, hard and very slow process altogether. I am however happy with my progress and until a little under 2 years ago I had never held a camera before....and until joining here about a year ago, I had never used an art programme like ps/cs before.
Processing goes:
Duplicate layer
create new fill layer or adjustment layer for threshold
create new curves layer and pick b/w/and grey points
shadow highlight
selective colour but black and grey only
sometimes contrast.

I use curves rather than levels only from reading levels tends to block up the tones unlike curves. Same for selective colour rather than brightness and contrast as I've read it does the same.....(just what I read).
And that's how I processed for this pic.
HTH
Thanks again.
Ken.

I have also started using channel mixer rather than saturation or de-saturation.

I've had another go at reprocessing this and added 2 additions to the first post in this thread. Both versions have been processed much differently from the first and added the B/W for DJW. I am just wondering if you think the processing is better than the first attempt. Still no noise reduction used.
Thanks in advance.
Ken.
Ps. Didn't clone the bits out that I did in the first.

Great takes Ken ... must be bloody clever to keep the bird in the same place for all three though !:getmecoat

You should worry ... just got my hands on CS2 and am terrified of getting started - I have seen how good, and how quick this lot are ! :shock:

TFS ... the last rocks my boat but the foreground is just a tad overpowering ? :thumb:

Hi Ken

Big assumption on my part that USM sharpening was used to increase contrast :doh: . The sky in the colour shots almost looks like a textured painting...which I still like btw. Actually love the grain in the Mono shot also....just works in your shot.

Ven said:
... must be bloody clever to keep the bird in the same place for all three though !
It's a scratch on my lens;)
DJW said:
Big assumption on my part that USM sharpening was used to increase contrast :doh: .
:thumb: 91% 1pixel 1threshold and then the tpfaction to resize which also sharpens...maybe to much which might be the cause of the foreground being in ya face.
Thanks again for the comments.
Ken.

Back