Some Advice on Canon EOS 350D

Name
Darren Charles
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking to get my first DSLR camera and had been thinking of either getting a Canon EOS 450D or a Nikon D40, however whilst browsing ebay I noticed quite a few Canon EOS 350d's for sale, at pretty reasonable prices. So I guess my question is, can someone tell me whether it is worth spending a little more on a new 450D or D40, or buy a used 350D and have a little bit more cash to play with for an extra lens?

Given the price you can get a 350D I would be tempted to go with that and put the extra money towards good lenses. I use a 5D now but I still kept my 350D as a second body and I don't have any plans to get rid of it because it's a perfectly good camera.

350d + decent lens, the glass makes more difference then the body at this stage!

A lot depends on how quickly you want to upgrade the lens.
If you can live with the 450D and kit lens for a while and save up for different lenses then I would suggest this route.
By the time you want to upgrade you'll have a better idea of your lens requirements.

The main differences are:
350D: 8.0 Megapixel, 7-point AF, 2.5" LCD

400d: 10.1 Megapixel, 9-point AF

450D: 12.2, Megapixel, 9-point AF, 3.0” LCD with Live View mode, EOS Integrated Cleaning System.

I toyed with the idea of buying a 2nd hand 350D and 400D but decided on the 450D as the 400D had just been discontinued as the time.

The screen on the 350D would really bug me but other than that it's perfectly good especially with decent glass.

A lot depends on how quickly you want to upgrade the lens.
If you can live with the 450D and kit lens for a while and save up for different lenses then I would suggest this route.
By the time you want to upgrade you'll have a better idea of your lens requirements.

The main differences are:
350D: 8.0 Megapixel, 7-point AF, 2.5" LCD

400d: 10.1 Megapixel, 9-point AF

450D: 12.2, Megapixel, 9-point AF, 3.0” LCD with Live View mode, EOS Integrated Cleaning System.

I toyed with the idea of buying a 2nd hand 350D and 400D but decided on the 450D as the 400D had just been discontinued as the time.

The 400D has the integrated cleaning system too!

The 400D has the integrated cleaning system too!

Oops!
I missed that as well the LCD size as well.
Thanks for pointing it out :)

^ lol, I think you were right about the screen size 1st time (at least I think its the same size as the 350)!

...ah I see what you mean now, missed it from the post :LOL:

Ok think if I can get a 350D for the right price I might just go for it. Is there a lot of difference between the 350D and the 450D in terms of size as I've handled a 450D and thought it was a great shape and size for me.

I think physical size is identical... I have one, and only downside for me the is screen size. I would recommend you get the battery pack, the camera handles a lot better!

I think physical size is identical... I have one, and only downside for me the is screen size. I would recommend you get the battery pack, the camera handles a lot better!

That's great thanks, been thinking I would get a battery pack if I bought one anyway, so that just confirms it for me.

^ lol, I think you were right about the screen size 1st time (at least I think its the same size as the 350)!

The LCD on a 350 is 1.8"..... the 400 has a 2.5"

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go for a 350D, picked one up from ebay, arrived today looks very nice can't wait to get out and start shooting.

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go for a 350D, picked one up from ebay, arrived today looks very nice can't wait to get out and start shooting.

That was a quick delivery! :clap:

Good stuff :)
I had one before my 5D and it was a great camera. One thing I found was that a battery grip transformed the handling and made using it a pleasure, maybe something to consider down the line.

That's great thanks, been thinking I would get a battery pack if I bought one anyway, so that just confirms it for me.

Take a look at Phottix on E.bay for a grip, i have one of theirs on my 350 and cant fault it, came complete with 2 batteries for a whisker short of £50 (y)

Back