Some advice please

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Last week my DSLR and all my lens were stolen. So I am now completely camera-less. To top it off I'm on holiday in two weeks. Off to Oz on a bit of a trip of a lifetime so there is no way I am going without a camera!

Due to some complications I am still waiting to hear from the insurance company but it isn't looking hopeful. (nothing dodgy just been living in temp accommodation during the week for work)

As I am not sure if the insurance is going to pay out, and I can't justify a new dslr and lens before the holiday. I have been looking at some high end compacts namely the g10, lumix lx3 and a leica d-lux 3.

Tempted by the lx3 due to the wide angle, but they're difficult to get hold of and don't have much of a zoom... Canon G10, quite easy to get, and has a decent zoom. Leica is a bit of a glorified panasonic, but they do look nice and hold their value well (if i sell on return to buy a DSLR)

Any one got any advice? Will be using the camera to take all holiday type shots, so not really for any 'specific' use.

Know it' s not ideal and would love to buy another dslr but hard to justify, and I can also keep the compact to complement a Dslr in the future.

Budget around £300-400

thanks

as far as i know the Panasonic and Leica cameras are both the same, just slightly different bodies and the price, why would both parties change the electrics and lens when they both make parts for each other? so i would say stuff the name and go for the Panasonic. but that is only my opinion

also my father has one of the wide angle Panasonics (i forget the name) and the IQ is very good

I do believe with the Leica you are literally paying for the name, and the nice leather case! and it is but a panasonic underneath. They do look very nice though!

Managed to have a play with a g10 and leica, but haven't found a shop with a lumix lx3 in stock yet.

Last week my DSLR and all my lens were stolen. So I am now completely camera-less. To top it off I'm on holiday in two weeks. Off to Oz on a bit of a trip of a lifetime so there is no way I am going without a camera!

Due to some complications I am still waiting to hear from the insurance company but it isn't looking hopeful. (nothing dodgy just been living in temp accommodation during the week for work)

As I am not sure if the insurance is going to pay out, and I can't justify a new dslr and lens before the holiday. I have been looking at some high end compacts namely the g10, lumix lx3 and a leica d-lux 3.

Tempted by the lx3 due to the wide angle, but they're difficult to get hold of and don't have much of a zoom... Canon G10, quite easy to get, and has a decent zoom. Leica is a bit of a glorified panasonic, but they do look nice and hold their value well (if i sell on return to buy a DSLR)

Any one got any advice? Will be using the camera to take all holiday type shots, so not really for any 'specific' use.

Know it' s not ideal and would love to buy another dslr but hard to justify, and I can also keep the compact to complement a Dslr in the future.

Budget around £300-400

thanks
What about the Canon Powershot SX1 IS great little camera's and if you shop around should find them in budget.

Not previoulsy looked at a powershot SX1 IS - has anyone used one? Is the only difference between the SX1 and the SX10 the hd video?

for that price, why not get a Sony alpha 300 or 350 or there's a nikon that's pretty cheap too. (All with kit lenses). Granted they won't be the same as the one you got stolen and you'll only have one lens, but it beats a compact. Alterntively I would highly recommend a fuji finepix 8100sd - lovely cameras, high zoom, (so not compact) but you can get some fantastic quality shots.

Quality is my greatest concern, don't want to go away and mixx out on some fantastic photos. Hovering over a 40d, on ebay as I type. Could buy a nifty fifty to complement it and get some good results.

Just thinking a compact would sit well with a DSLR in the future, and I could carry it everywhere with me. But getting good quality images is my primary concern, like to print out images for the wall on my return.

Sony A200 is very hard to beat at £270 with kit lens from Amazon http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod609.html Nothing wrong with that at all. Nikon D40 is similar, so a DSLR might not be out of the question :)

But if you want the convenience of a compact, and a really pocketable one at that, plus with a wide lens, then Panasonic are the fellas.

There are several to choose from. My fave is the FX500.

Managed to have a play with a g10 and leica, but haven't found a shop with a lumix lx3 in stock yet.

London Camera Exchange on the Strand in London had some LX3s in stock yesterday. 2 left in black (I bought one of the 3 they had ;)) and more in silver. They do mail order :)

Firstly thankyou for thinking of this thread and letting me know! Very kind, and sums up TP in a lot of ways! Do you mind me asking how much you payed, as I may have to have a trip there tonight / tomorrow. Thanks again!

Well I bit the bullet last week and bought a G10 to give me a week to get used to it before I go on Holiday. First Impressions are good and I'm looking forward to trying a few shots tonight!

Plan is to sell it on my return, and buy a second hand 40d, and slowly build the collection up again! Hopefully have some good photos to post up on my return! Thanks for the help.

Sorry about the lack of reply Thomo - was away for a few days (and testing the new LX3 :D) Best of luck with the new camera - hope you enjoy it.

(for the record, in case anyone else is thinking of going the LX3 route, they were priced at £339 in LCE - a good £30 less than John Lewis which seemed the only other place with them in stock at the time)

Back