Some drunken ramblings...

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

As some of you may be aware, from a financial perspective I have fallen upon stony ground of late. To add insult to injury, the g/f, scatty mare that she is, has somehow forgotten her PIN number for her bank card, so although she's been paid she can't get any money out. However, I'm a firm believer that something good will always turn up when the chips are down, eternal optimist that I am...

I got a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions yesterday, saying that they owed me over £90 in unpaid benefits. I got a second letter from the same people, saying that because I'd found a job I was eligible for a £100 'bonus' - both of these to be paid into my bank account.

Checked my bank account this morning and I'm significantly richer than I was yesterday!

I've just come back from Tesco having spent a whopping £38 on various foodstuffs which will keep us going for at least the next week until her new PIN number arrives and we can start to pillage her bank account.

As you may have gathered we have also treated ourselves to some ale. I've just got to the end of my first week of work in eight months and I am absolutely knackered - its been a complete system shock. I think we deserve to chill out for the weekend now.

Put a squirt of diesel in the car, and we're laughing. Its still five weeks til I get paid, but at least I know I'm going to get six weeks money which should equal something approaching £1,300 after tax - that being the case, we'll be back on our feet by the end of July and sticking two fingers up at the rest of the world that's knocked us down and trampled us for the last few months.

Its been a rough few months for both of us but we're getting there - we're both in dire need of a bloody good holiday, so that's the next objective.

As a little side-note - I've been speaking to my friend tonight - one of the best people in the entire world, like, EVER. I asked her how she was doing and she told me she was missing her mum. She died from leukaemia two weeks ago. My friend is 18 so I guess her mum would be early 40's - despite all the ****e I've been through in the last 6 months, I'd do it all again and more if she could have her mum back.

I'm sure there was a point to this when I started... but I'm so ****ed I just can't remember. I'm sure you smart chaps can figure it all out.

Nah... good post. ;)

What happened to the doorman job - or is that just a part time thing?

I got the cheque through from the dole office about a month ago and applied for my licence the same day. Unfortunately it takes up to ten weeks.

With moving house etc we're in dire need of cash so I took a job working for O2 for now, simply because we can't afford to wait any more. Fortunately its in the same call centre that handles calls for British Gas, where I worked before, so references etc were never going to be a problem. They know why I left and they understand why I had to.

When I get my SIA licence through I'll go part time at O2 and start working the doors, then maybe go fulltime at it. Will see how it goes. I like to keep as many options as possible open in life cos I hate feeling trapped.

Gotcha. It sounds like things are on the up anyway. :)

I think it's great that doormen are properly trained and licensed now. I've seen far too much of the worst excesses of thug bouncers. Having said that I wouldn't last five minutes in the job before I was getting locked up. My tolerance level for drunken idiots is pretty low.

LOL... that's drunken aggressive idiots. :LOL:

yeah nice post. Im pleased things are working out for you, things always balance out in the end!

Occasionaly, the dwp do come up trumps with some sort of usefulness!

Onwards and upwards dude, glad things are sorting themselves.

P.s. The world would be a distinctly duller place if it wasn't for the drunken ramblings of pleasant and intelligent people.

It's just the idiots who have to ruin it for everyone else who vex me!

Glad things are starting to work out for you Gfk - it's about time the sun started for shine for you. Onwards and upwards now eh?

minimeeze said:
Glad things are starting to work out for you Gfk - it's about time the sun started for shine for you. Onwards and upwards now eh?
Something like that. It's been an awful 6 months so far. But I'm well beyond the phase where I just roll over and die.

Something big is coming. I know it is.

I'm damned if I'm going to be a washed up ex-programmer in a rocking chair on a veranda somewhere, jabbering on through false teeth and saliva to my grandkids about how many near misses I've had in life. I want to achieve my ambitions and I'm damn well going to. I've already had enough failure and mistakes to last a lifetime. No more.

I've been working on this PC game for the last couple of months (I can do Linux and OSX versions too). Many people know I'm up to something but only my g/f and my mum have actually played it. Its top secret. The fact that I couldn't get my laptop back off my mum for ages is telling me that I'm onto something here - I normally just get "oh, thats nice [exit stage left]".

GfK said:
I'm damned if I'm going to be a washed up ex-programmer in a rocking chair on a veranda somewhere
(snip)

This sounds all too familiar :(

I worked in the games industry for around 15 years (pixel monkey) and went through it for a while - redundant 3 times in 2 years, etc... Not easy to start again from basically nothing but it sounds like things are turning around for you at last (y)

've been working on this PC game for the last couple of months

sounds cool, you'll have to post some screen shots or a demo here when you are ready. You know we will give you an honest crit.

Glad to hear things are on the up mate. Sounds like youre head is in the right place for Great Things to happen.

pxl8 said:
I worked in the games industry for around 15 years (pixel monkey) and went through it for a while - redundant 3 times in 2 years, etc...
Blimey, who did you work for??

I worked for Gremlin Interactive as a motion capture tech for three years. They got taken over by Infogrames in 2000, and cut 1/3 of the workforce in March 2001 (including me). 12 months later, they shut up the Sheffield studio completely, putting nigh on 200 people out of work, and sold the building off. It got knocked down and yet another block of student flats now stands in its place.

All very sad.

GfK said:
Blimey, who did you work for??

Back in the 8bit days I freelanced for various include Probe, The Edge, Ariolasoft, and so on. Then when the Amiga came on the scene I did some work with a guy down in Somerset on Space Hulk. After that we went on to do another version with a larger team, still with EA. Then we parted company from EA and signed up with Eidos. 2.5 years spent on a project which went nowhere as the Eidos producer changed his mind each week. Eidos canned the team and moved key members and the project over the Pumpkin, it was there 6 months before they canned it again, taking Pumpkin with it. I then moved to Runecraft (shudder). Spent a year in the Glasgow office and then moved to the Taunton office. 2 months Hooley sold the company (well basically mugged some half-wits) and the new owners laid off a bunch of folk. They didn't follow the law tho and a bunch of us took them to Employment Tribunal and settled a few days before it was due to appear. After that I did a few bits on GBA to tide me over but when I started hearing about artists being imported from india on min. wage I walked away.

I could rant for hours about how the game industry was ruined by marketing but it's all been said before ;)

Small world innit :D

I remember Space Hulk!

I wouldn't mind getting back into it fulltime but there's nothing in this area now, only Rockstar Lincoln but thats a fair old commute.

Think I'll just stick to knocking together my own little projects. Its much simpler this way.

I think I might start my Thunderforce 3-a-like soon. :)

Good for you GfK ... pleased you are climbing back on to your feet ... and as you rightly identify ...

There is always a bright side to every situation and ...

There is always someone worse off ... always ... !

correct me if i am wrong, but didin't you try to quit smoking some time back, and if so how did you do?
i get paid next week thank god, cant live on fresh air for ever.

Boon said:
correct me if i am wrong, but didin't you try to quit smoking some time back, and if so how did you do?
Wasn't me. Never smoked in my life.

Back