Beginner Some early shots - help gratefully received. (Now with images!)

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I'm just starting to get some shots that I like (though I like taking them more!). I know I'm just starting, with much to pick-up, and practice will help. I think it would also help to have areas to focus on. I'm grateful for tips I could focus on as a beginner. :) Mistakes I've made etc.

Thanks

1. From Aira force. (I need to remove a piece of rubbish I've seen since I uploaded it.)
Aire Force by Steve SJ, on Flickr

2. St Bees coast in cumbria.
St Bees coastline by Steve SJ, on Flickr

3. Hatch Brook, Chorley
IMG_1430.jpg by Steve SJ, on Flickr

4. Hatch Brook Falls
Cascading falls by Steve SJ, on Flickr

5. More Hatch Brook
IMG_1367.jpg by Steve SJ, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's really helpful, thank you. Thank you for being kind too. :)

I'll start reading about light. May I ask, do you mean brighter generally, or more light coming into the picture directly, or something very different.

Thanks ever so much

Steve

That's really helpful, thank you. Thank you for being kind too. :)

I'll start reading about light. May I ask, do you mean brighter generally, or more light coming into the picture directly, or something very different.

Thanks ever so much

Steve

Scott means there's no direct sunlight in all but number 2, which can be ok depending on what you want to shoot. There's a quick guide to using light by David Noton on this link (Amateur Photographer magazine):

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/technique/expert_advice/complete-guide-outdoor-light-108628

I'd look to work on what it is you want to show in your pictures, for example in number one it's a busy scene with no obvious focal point, but looking closer you might have been able to get nearer to the fall at the back and make that more prominent. Summer greens are quite difficult to work with in woodland, it definitely helps if you can be out early if it's misty or raining heavily as that can simplify scenes.

In number two golden light in the hour before sunset could have benefitted it.

or more light coming into the picture directly,
Steve
Yes, this.
A little bit of light coming in to the scene. Preferably not scorching bright direct sunlight, soft and subtle is better. The kind of light you get when the sun is lower in the horizon. Light creates areas of brightness contrasting against areas of shadow which helps give a picture the illusion of depth.
There's nothing wrong with your exposure or brightness as you've referred to it above, they all look fine on my monitor.

Thanks Scott, that's very helpful. I was assuming you meant more sunlight (brightness as I poorly put it), but this helps with thinking about different sorts.

Thanks
Steve

I think there REALLY good. Pin sharpe. good focal point, nice frameing. Just need a little sunlight and shade, but keep the contrast settings down.

Exposures are all good and they are all well composed. As said they just lack a bit of oomph that comes from some light. Not sure about the lack of contrast but it is nice to see something a wee bit different and my first urge is to crank the contrast up in lightless scenes. Might take the slider the other way to see what happens.

Thank you both. This is all encouraging and helpful.

Interestingly, I went here (last 3 shots) as on the day I had some time, it was raining hard, and thought wood and water may be better I than anything else. (The rain stopped as I arrived). I loved the rich wet green, but it was hard to distinguish greens in the shots! Mostly what I was enjoying, was trying to show depth. I'll go back on a sunnier day and contrst.

I'm going to try things in different lights to learn the difference. I'll also experiment with post-processing, - thank you. The last three have had very little (I struggled) and that gives me a good place to start.

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Back