Some film from Glasgow

Name
Bradley
Edit My Images
No
These were taken during spring with an Olympus OM-20.

All C&C are welcome :)

CNV00001.jpg

CNV00006.jpg

CNV00007.jpg

CNV00013-1.jpg

CNV00014-1.jpg

Need to look for a less grainy film...

Some nice variety, but overall a little bit lacking imho.

What film did you use out of interest? I haven't found many colour negative films I like the look of. Fuji Pro 160S is the closest I've found to usable so far and maybe Velvia (but costly and unforgiving).

The composition for most of the pictures is good, I can see the rule of 3rds at play. They just feel like they lack impact for the most part for me. Maybe a tad overexposed in general as well.

I do like number 8 though. A nice panning shot, some blurring to background and his feet to indicate movement, plus a little DoF. Plus the quirky diagonal alignment makes it interesting for me personally. Also seems well exposed. Good work.

I would say (advice given too me as well - as a regular culprit) it is better to post fewer shots at a time. I'd give more detailed feedback if it wasn't for 9 pictures each requiring different comments.

Another minor point (and for the most part you have it right) I've often read that like people read left-to-right, they do the same with photos. So 6 and 4 are good examples of this. 3 might look better if it was flipped horizontally (obviously the signs would be backwards though).

Also a final note, for 7 I'd reconsider how you framed the shot, either focus on a specific part of the bridge/the bridge and it's reflection, or try and fit it all in, in context. A graduated filter to help the blown sky would have been ideal in this case as well. Bringing the viewpoint back, might have made the bridge the feature of the image, but allowed the river to lead the viewer's eyes into the image towards the bridge.

But overall keep up the good work. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the superb feedback there!

To be honest, I cannot remember which film I used. But either the cheap Fujicolour C200 stuff Jessop's gives out for free, or some 20 year old Tudor stuff I decided to shoot, equally cheap haha. I havent really shot anything else other than Ilford HP5.

I take note of the things you said Justin about the left-to-right and not posting too many at a time, thanks.

Bear in mind every rule is made to be broken as well!

The left to right thing, like the rule of thirds is only a rule of thumb.

Also it's so much easier to critique the work of others than it is to take a photo yourself that is actually good and requires no critique. Again a field I am an expert in. The criticizing part I mean....

Last edited:
One bit of advice from Justin that I hope you DO take to heart is if you want proper critique, post one or two shots tops. If you want to share other pictures as well, by all means either drop them in after getting some crit, or add a few links later.

Maybe i'm a bit slow, but it takes me a good 10 minutes per shot to come up with a decent critique. Posting 9 shots is asking people like me to spend a hour and a half of their free time to give you advice. Now, I'm not saying I won't give a little crit, but it may well be in a few episodes over the next week or so... I'm guessing that most people will just give you "flickr feedback" - i.e. a nice ego boost but no bloody use if you want to improve as a photographer...

I seem to be in most of these!

you look smaller whiter and furrier in photo 8 than your forum picture shows... :LOL:

you look smaller whiter and furrier in photo 8 than your forum picture shows...

Amazing what a quick shower & a haircut can do (y)

I also took Joe's profile picture :p

Back