Some Garden "Stuff"....

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
While visiting the father-in-law, I run around his garden, taking pics of whatever objects he has (his garden is a treasure of objects lol).

I thought I would switch back to the kit lens so I didnt have to move so much around his garden.

Hope they are interesting...sort of. ;)

Thought id start with a "welcome bit" :D

IMG_9569_70_71_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_9566_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_9560_1_2_tonemapped.jpg

IMG_9557_8_9_tonemapped-1.jpg

IMG_9554_5_6_tonemapped-1.jpg

The wall is on a camber, hence the pic looks a bit lop-sided but I thought the lines were interesting.

All shot with the Canon EOS 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks for looking :)

1. I think you have boosted the colours/contrast a little too much, and maybe would have worked better with a wider framing and place the main figure using the rule of thirds

2. A bit of a nothing shot for me i'm afraid

3. I like the idea, but some how doesn't quite work, try a B&W conversion maybe

4. Nice composition, but maybe slightly overly done on the contrast/colour boost again

5. Now this is bang on the money for me, very nice processing indeed

Thanks Rich :) I agree with those points and make no excuses, I done the plan, I knew what I <should> have been doing but didnt.

Its quite hard how so many variables have to be juggled to get a "good" picture. I certainly have grown an appreciation of the art that others master a lot better than myself.

Ok - back to the post, I already had done them in B&W (I tend to do both for everything now, just to weigh them up visually).

Heres a the set again, but in B&W.

IMG_9569_70_71_tonemapped-1.jpg

I dont think it makes a difference with this one, just not right.

IMG_9560_1_2_tonemapped-1.jpg

IMG_9557_8_9_tonemapped.jpg

:)

No. 3 looks good in B&W, good contrast and a great range of tones

No. 1 still can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't look quite right to me

No. 4 looks a little flat now in B&W, could possibly do with a contrast boost to get a wider range of tones like no. 3 (needs more blacks/darker tones)

if you shot raw, I'd say try a HDR treatment on #4... mainly due to the details in the wood and bench.

#1 its probably the bottom cropped off the statue... feels like you are a little too tight perhaps?

#2 needed a little more room to the left (where the statue is looking). The wall on the rhs is distracting (not much you can/could do about this... - unless you want to try some post processing...? Gaussian blur the bricks more (both sides) - Try to get a bit more detail on the statue or convert to black n white, heavier contrast..?)

I should have used the 50mm, but since its a fixed lens, I couldnt get the right shots, but now ive used the 18-55 kit lens, so i didnt have to move around too much, ive lost that "pop".

All of the images are HDR :) Ive tried keeping the tones down as best as I can, but number 4 does stick out as being hdr.

I agree about the statue, too close and no thirds applied. I will try that again when I next visit :)

Thanks guys, youve been most helpful :)

Back