Some help with The Milky Way please.

Edit My Images
No
I'm compiling a photo book for my golf club, and I can do all of the arty stuff but I'm struggling with some slightly adventurous night photos. I get the basic idea of photographing the Milky Way, namely an ultra-wide lens with a big maximum aperture, 30 second exposure, whack up the ISO and travel 50 miles away from any light source.

Well the golf club is just 4 miles from Taunton but I am at least looking away from the town. However, to the south is the A303 and that's where my light pollution is coming from. Can't do much about that really.

So here's a photo from last night, and I want to to better.

milkyway-pickeridge-14th-v2.jpg

It was pitch black and of course I want to see the golf course, so I've combined a non-light painted sky with a light painted foreground. Exposures were 30 seconds and 100 seconds respectively.

Lens wise I was using my 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 which I know is too slow. Camera is a D700. A faster lens will allow me to drop the sky exposure time and reduce trails, but I'd be interested in any tips or suggestions because I know I can do better. I think the light painting is a challenge, very hit and miss so there's room for improvement there.

To be honest, the photo isn't bad and I think there are improvements to be had next time and I accept this might mean a new lens...

Assistance much appreciated.

I would say you definitely need a bigger aperture than f3.5 for really detailed Milky Way shots....having said that, have you processed the sky shot at all? You can generally bring out a lot more detail in the Milky Way with some judicious processing! :) If you want to send me a link to the raw file, I can have a go if you like? I'm assuming this is the 14th at T&P?

Hi Mike

Yes, 14th at T&P

Here's a Dropbox link to a folder of 16 photos - numbers 669 and 670 are the RAW files that the above came from:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l0z6j20opnju18z/AABgpQ9aq5d9-4EzeKMc2JbJa?dl=0

Feel free to play with the others :)

As far as a bigger aperture goes, I understand why for reducing star trails because of a short exposure, and/or reducing ISO, but the light pollution will still be there. I shall probably invest because I can't resist a reason to buy a new lens.

What I was also hoping for was some pointers with regard to light painting, because that seems VERY hit and miss.

Kind regards
Steev

Just looking at the Milky Way shot you suggested, I would bump up the ISO a bit further from 2500....my shots I posted this week with the 20mm f1.8 were at 6400 and 8000. Not sure how the D700 copes with ISO numbers that high, but you should definitely see more detail.... As for light painting, I've never really done it so can't help there, I'm afraid!

Thanks. I'm happy pushing the D700 to higher ISO's, but I've never really regarded that as any difference from just changing the exposure in Lightroom.

I can make the milky way look reasonable, but not with any chance of being able to combine a foreground full of trees :-(
mway1400.jpg

I find I get more star detail with a higher ISO which I don't get by just boosting exposure. The combining is pretty fiddly with the trees and patches of light coming through, but with some careful masking work (at 200% and a small brush), it can be done! :) This isn't done with as quite as much care as I would normally, but I don't think it looks too bad, maybe a bit purple but that can be changed easily :)

That's a very nice job indeed. You've pushed the Milky Way further than I would have but the masking is excellent. I think that because my camera wasn't level (it was pitch black) the need to rotate the image brought in quite a lot of softness.

I shall brush up on my technque, whack up the ISO another stop and then look at some faster glass. I think perhaps the 20mm f/1.8 - I think going 24mm won't be wide enough.

Really impressed with your PP though.

From my brief time so far with the 20mm, you won't be disappointed! The masking is all about patience and a bit of practice - it isn't really that hard to get the hang of!

I'm certainly tempted with the 20mm and will probably buy it when I sell my video camera that doesn't get used :) Thanks for your help Mike.

Back