Some Hockey Shots

C

CriPPle

Here are some pictures I took on Sunday at a friends Hockey match.

He asked me to go and take them for use on there club website, was just wandering what the people on here thought of them?

and does anyone have any good tips for photographing this sort of sport?

1)
Hockey1.jpg

2)
Hockey2.jpg

3)
Hockey3.jpg

4)
Hockey4.jpg

5)
Hockey5.jpg

Nice shots - did you up the ISO? They look a bit "light". I take a fair few of my sons playing soccer and [Quote Liberalis] - tis hard. I would be looking for a shutter speed of about 1/200 and may raise the ISO to achieve it and I will sometimes use burst. Some might say that's cheating, but if the camera's got it then, to me, it's fair does.

regards

Thanks for the comments :), Yes it is quite a difficult sport to shoot.

Also seems pretty dangerous, within the first 10 mins of the game two people were hit with a ball to the face.

stepheno I did up the ISO I think most of these were shot at ISO 800, so I could stop down to get more dof, although looking at them now I think I would of done better using lower ISO and larger apeture. Shutter speeds were around 1\400 - 1\500 and aperture between f/9-f/11.

They do seem a bit light whilst I am at work :(, they seemed alright when I was editing them last night (could just be the dodgy lcd panel I have at work, never liked them for looking at pictures with).

Looking at those the best by far is no.4. You've go the action pinned against a simple plain background that makes it easy to see exactly what's going on. It's nice tight framing that show the expressions on the two players faces and enhaces the feeling from the match.

With locations like that one it's very hard to get great shots as the background is so distracting. Reducing the DoF as much as possible could help but it may not make a huge difference.

CriPPle said:
stepheno I did up the ISO I think most of these were shot at ISO 800
For what looks like a sunny day I'm sure you could have got decent aperture and S speed at ISO 100 or 200 at the most.

regards

dazzajl said:
Looking at those the best by far is no.4. You've go the action pinned against a simple plain background that makes it easy to see exactly what's going on. It's nice tight framing that show the expressions on the two players faces and enhaces the feeling from the match.

With locations like that one it's very hard to get great shots as the background is so distracting. Reducing the DoF as much as possible could help but it may not make a huge difference.

I think they work best when you have only a couple of people visible and a nice tight crop. It seems odd that a team sport looks best close up and I think you've attempted to get a team feel going but as Dazzajl says it looks best with the expressions etc.

Are you going to go back for some more?
:)

Liberalis said:
Just wondering, have you cropped #4 at all ? I'm trying to figure if having the heads of the spectators in the shot spoils it all ?

No there is no croping on that one.

stepheno - yea partly a mistake on my part the ISO being so high, did not realise until the end of the game :doh:

SammyC - Yes I will be going back to try some more of these shots, this was my first attempt at this kind of sport, in the past I have only done motorsport pics, this year one of the things I want to do is diversify the subjects I take pictures of.

I can see what everyone is saying the shots with fewer players in defiantly have more impact. Next time I will be going more for those sort of style shots.

Again thanks for all the comments :D

dazzajl said:
Looking at those the best by far is no.4.

Totally agree, that's a really good shot :)

these look good to me, there's nothing really in the scenes to make them any better than you have taken. They are all good clear shots, looks like you knew where to be to take them too :) I particularly like the player interaction in shots 3 & 4

Back