Some more advice needed please

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Dear all, sorry if these are really "div" questions but being completely new to photography, I need some advice please.

I've got a Nikon D40 with a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6GII ED (yeah, like I know what that means...) and I want to buy a lens hood (or do I, ie do they add picture quality etc?) My question is what size do I need? Ebay are saying a 52mm one but how would I know if this is correct?

Also, i've read on here a few people talking about filters? Again, should I invest in one of these or are they more for advanced photographers? Also, would they improve picture quality?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Dave W

Your will need a 55mm hood such as the HB-33 (which I believe is the one provided with the 18-55). Such as this one. They help to eliminate glare and offer protection to your lens and any filters.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HB33-HB-33-Le...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

As for filters, there are many to choose from and some (like polarising filters) are very useful and others only serve to detract from the quality of your photos. Have a search on here and you'll find plenty of threads on filters (y)

Hope this helps.

just a word of warning about using polarising filters on the 18-55. the focus ring is at the front end of the lens and it rotates so the filter will rotate with the autofocus. will be a bit of a nuisance for u as ul have to focus then readjust the filter....

Thanks chaps, think i'll pass on the filters until I understand them fully but definitely will get the hood, 55mm it is then?

Another option is to get a Cokin filter holder. You can get adaptor rings to suit each of your lenses so you only need one holder.
Not only can you put filters in the holder :) but you can get modular lens hoods as well. You can have 1 hood on for wide angle, add another one when you get above about 45mm and add more as you get to telephoto.
The holder stays still as the focusing ring rotates so the filters do not rotate, handy for polarisers and grads.

Thanks Suvv, haven't got a clue what you are talking about though :shrug: I only have the one lens which clearly I use for everything so are you saying I could use a filter on a holder which is connected to a ring thus allowing it to move with the AF? Man, think I might need to stick to gardening:LOL:

Thanks Suvv, haven't got a clue what you are talking about though :shrug: I only have the one lens which clearly I use for everything so are you saying I could use a filter on a holder which is connected to a ring thus allowing it to move with the AF? Man, think I might need to stick to gardening:LOL:

Have a look at the Cokin web site. www.cokin.co.uk
You would need a 52mm adapter ring and the A series filters for your lens
You buy a ring which screws onto the front of your lens (you need one of these for each lens)
You then slide the filter holder over the ring
The filters then slide into the holder and the lens hood(s) clip onto the holder.
As your kit lens focuses the front of it rotates, the ring will also rotate but the filter holder is a slip fit and does not rotate.
You can get better, dearer systems but Cokin are quite good.

Back