Some more info on choosing studio lights etc

Garry Edwards

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
There are a lot of forum questions about which lights to buy, and also quite a few questions about lighting power, colour temperature, accessories and so on.

Most of these questions can be difficult to answer, not only because different people have different needs and different budgets but also because there are no short answers. It also gets complicated when people have limited experience of makes of lights other than their own.

So, I've added a few new quick introductory tutorials to my free downloads page, covering
How to choose which studio lights to buy
Using Fresnel Spotlights
Using Beauty Dishes
How to test the colour temperature of your lights

As there are now a total of 10 of these free downloads (plus another 10 free extracts from my various tutorials) I think it's best just to give you a link to the download page

These tutorials are just quick attempts to explain the basics. They aren't definitive explanations or technical articles - if you want more then I'm afraid you have to buy the tutorials;)

Good stuff Garry. Your 'How to test the colour temperature of your lights' link is wrong though as it goes to 'Beauty Dishes'

Good stuff Garry. Your 'How to test the colour temperature of your lights' link is wrong though as it goes to 'Beauty Dishes'
Thanks for pointing that out. Now fixed

Interesting stuff, I'll run the suggested tests on my Alien Bees and post the results (as found, good or bad) sometime in the next week or so.

Back