Some MTB shots from Sunday's race

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
What a day, what a ride! More comments to follow, but I thought it best to up some of the shots from the event yesterday to see what you guys and gals think. For now, all I can say is I love using my new off-camera flash ability! C&C much appreciated

2563983872_58452e2299_o.jpg

2563984036_bd2f4b49c5_o.jpg

2563984190_810c79fa8c_o.jpg

2563984638_9b9e5a39ba_o.jpg

2563984756_56c9d29d12_o.jpg

2563984898_62217debde_o.jpg

2563985058_38b13968a7_o.jpg

2563985198_28e798dfbb_o.jpg

2563985342_1c2507def9_o.jpg

2563985504_34f1a6cf17_o.jpg

Hi ekimeno,

These shots are great. Off-camera flash is obviously working well for you! Seems to be complimenting the ambient light quite nicely.

1 and 2 are probably my faves. Maybe 6 aswell.

Only crit is that you're chopping the wheels off a few of them. I assume you're concentrating too much in getting the rider in.

But they're all still really good :D

Thanks Oli. Yeah, I have been a bit too focused on getting the rider's head in the shot, thereby cutting the wheels in half. I guess heads sell better than wheels! :LOL:

Hiya

Well panned and great exposure.

I think No. 2 is the best shot, but as someone else has already commented, the wheels have been chopped off and the this has made the composition a bit dodgy. As I'm sure you realise, the shots would have been 10 times better with the correct composition.

But isn't that what it's all about. you'll know better next time.

you have some very nice shots here care to explain were you had flash placed

I was experimenting with the placing of the flash, but I found the best place was usually on the same side of the rider that the picture was being taken. Generally I'd try and not place the flash or position myself so that I'd get ugly shadows of the riders arms across his/her chest. Bit of trial and error...

EDIT: also, if you look at the first shot, you'll see a bright bit in the bottom left... that's the glow from the flash (I used a Lambency diffuser). Part of the challenge was to avoid this...

Last edited:
Hiya

Well panned and great exposure.

I think No. 2 is the best shot, but as someone else has already commented, the wheels have been chopped off and the this has made the composition a bit dodgy. As I'm sure you realise, the shots would have been 10 times better with the correct composition.

But isn't that what it's all about. you'll know better next time.

All agreed - thanks for your honest and useful comments. (y)

I'll think a lot more about the composition next time now that I've got the panning and lighting fairly sorted.

I did a bit of experimentation with the placement of my flash last time I was out, and I found that the best results were when it was only a few feet away to my side.

But what's probably most crucial, is using the correct output, and to me it looks just about perfect in your pics.

I'm guessing in no.8, it's the sun that's caused the rider to overexpose slightly, but even then, I don't think that ruins the pic. :D

Yeah, on 8 I didn't use flash (ran out of batteries!), so relied on the sun... man it was bright on Sunday! I was struggling most of the afternoon with blown out skin! :thinking:

Speaking of experimentation... I put the flash on the other side of the rider in no. 2 - I was just luck that he turned his head toward me.

Well it's interesting to know these things when you look at the shots. It's a nice effect in no.2. I'm kinda stuck on which lighting I prefer, but I suppose there's nowt wrong with mixing it up.

Also what I love about these shots, and some of mine from the Avalanche Enduro, is the colour of the leaves behind. Obviously the sun is on them, and it helps create a really vivid photo.

Great shots.

If you hadn't said you'd taken themn at the weekend, I'd guess from shots 1 and 2 that they were taken years ago!

Flat and skinny bars, V-brakes, them old Rock Shox forks, and a water bottle rather than a Camelbak...LOL! Looks like STEEL tubing too!!! :geek:

Last edited:
If you hadn't said you'd taken themn at the weekend, I'd guess from shots 1 and 2 that they were taken years ago!

Flat and skinny bars, V-brakes, them old Rock Shox forks, and a water bottle rather than a Camelbak...LOL! Looks like STEEL tubing too!!! :geek:

Yeh those XC racers are stuck in a time warp (and they are too tight to invest in new gear).

:exit:

Some really nice shots there. Good range of emotions and speed!

Trouble is with XC racers is they have reflective bits that can mess up flash use!

Off-camera flash is great for mountain biking action. Adds a lot to the shots. The first ones work best for me, 4 particularly. The later ones are a bit bright but it's tough juggling the flash output and the exposure - can be a nightmare.

Some great shots and inspiration (I'm hoping to take some pics this weekend at Mountain Mayhem).

Was the flash on a lighting stand? Any tips for a first-timer?

Some great shots and inspiration (I'm hoping to take some pics this weekend at Mountain Mayhem).

Was the flash on a lighting stand? Any tips for a first-timer?

Flash was on the ground (usually balanced on a tree branch or supported by a stone).

Tips... take loads of spare batteries for the flash and if you're moving around the course, make sure you keep a look out for fast moving riders that appear out of nowhere - they don't slow down for photographers!

Also, make sure you've got your panning technique right and think about composition as per comments made earlier... hope this helps and good luck!

Cheers! I've been charging and discharging lots of new rechargeable batteries since yesterday when I'm at home :)

By coincidence we were talking about/ showing someone at work today the panning technique on some traffic out of the office window.

Back