Some of mine from around Scotland

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some from my collection of pictures from around Scotland, mostly Edinburgh, where I live.

It's my first time posting pictures, so I hope they're not too much of a let-down.:)

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

Rather too big a set for selective C&C, but broadly some of the skies are rather featureless, with the notable exceptions of the pylons, which is a very striking shot, and the sunset, which is lovely and quite well composed. You need to get a handle on some simple PP work -learn how to adjust levels for contrast, and how to 'raise' (brighten) the foregrounds, and the essentials of sharpening.

Agree with horrocks and will add that a tripod is more than just useful.
Also look up some tutorials re Hyper Focal Distance, Depth of Field etc and plan your shots.
Good images are balance of artistic talent and well applied science.

Thank you for the comments guys, I'll take it all on board and use your advice the next time I shoot landscapes.

Seaboarder - I've been using a DSLR since Christmas and have often noticed how out-of-focus my landscapes are, and even after asking several people, no-one has mentioned Hyper Focal Distance! I can't wait to start using this - should make a huge difference, so thank you!:D

Scott

You're welcome.
I often set my camera at f8-f16 and whatever speed matches and manually focus at 1 to 1.5 mtrs .. everything from about .5mtr or less to infinity is in focus and sharp. This is for landscapes of course.
I never focus on the distant background unless I want the foreground to be out of focus.

For a different effect you can focus on some middle distant object and open up the lens (larger hole f4 say rather than small hole f22) this will restrict the depth of field and both the foreground and background will be soft focus.
As clear as mud.
All the best.

Back