Beginner Some of my Blow fly macros

Edit My Images
No
Bought a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens and tried it .. Just started my journey in macro photography just a few clicks old already getting addicted.please let me know how they are? And how can I improve?

Thanks in advance

IMG_1471013111.038911.jpgIMG_1471013126.892047.jpgIMG_1471013138.738217.jpg

Hi and welcome to TP and the macro section.
1st please tell us what your setup is, whats your lighting, what settings are you using.

Hi Graham, I'm using Canon 80D with 100mm lens and shot at natural light, hand held. The settings I used are
Aperture: 3.2
Shutter speed: Auto
ISO: 200

Hope I gave you correct info.

Thank you

Good start there. Keep shooting! Flash is pretty much required for 1:1 macro but there's lots of info and knowledge in here. I only started a few months ago myself and been through 4 flash set ups already [emoji3]

Oh and try uploading and share from Flickr. It loads full EXIF data so people can see all your settings to help if needed.

Hi Graham, I'm using Canon 80D with 100mm lens and shot at natural light, hand held. The settings I used are
Aperture: 3.2
Shutter speed: Auto
ISO: 200

Hope I gave you correct info.

Thank you
Thanks for the info,
Yes you will need a flash, I wouldn't recommend a ring flash but thats your choice, the flash would also need to be diffused in some way.
With regard to your aperture, up it to at least f9 or more if your happy with that.
Nearly all folk on here use manual on their cameras and use 1/160 to 1/250 shutter speed.
ISO, that depends on you really and how your camera handles it but I guess ISO200 is fine.
There are PINNED threads at the start of the Macro section that give loads of useful info, please do read them, also there are threads on how to diffuse a flash on the cheap.
Good luck and we all hope to see your forth coming shots with improvement.

Yes good advice above - are these heavy crops ? They look it to me. You should be able to get closer if they are I think. But need to know what you have done with them.

Natural light and insects that small is hard - hence most use flash to freeze the subject.

Yes, Chris they are heavy crops. I'm now thinking of extension tubes and I already have an yonguno off camera flash, which I start use in future shots. Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, Chris they are heavy crops. I'm now thinking of extension tubes and I already have an yonguno off camera flash, which I start use in future shots. Thank you for the suggestion.
Walk before you run I say. get used of the camera and lens with flash then progress on to tubes.

Back