Some of my first long exposure shots in London

Name
Byron
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, this is my first post sharing my photos.

These are a few examples of my first attempt at long exposure shots.

1. Hyde Park Corner junction
Here, I wanted to capture both sets of traffic lights with all three colours on, so timing was key. However, I have two complaints: 1) the traffic light nearest to the camera is blown out, which is ugly and distracting, and 2) the trails from the left are cut short because the shutter speed was too quick.
The cyclist in the shot wasn't planned and I think adds some "interestingness" to the shot.
9060978975_360e219f55_b.jpg

2. Wellington Arch
This arch is nicely light up after sun down and I wanted to capture this. My main complaint here is that the sky wasn't completely clear of clouds so the right side of the shot is messy.
9059200419_e5fdb3d494_b.jpg

I edited them in LR 4.

Do you guys have any constructive criticism for these shots? Please be as honest as possible as I'm eager to learn!

Byron

Hi Byron, both are nice images, the cyclist does add to the image, would have been a <better> shot if you were able to have got several metres above the ground to get all of the traffic better (i.e. leading off into distance etc...)

I am finding the images rather blue - The green lights are blue so something needs adjusting there.

I like the 2nd image of the arch but I find the car headlights quite distracting, maybe you can dull them so they're not so eye-catching?

Thanks for posting and sharing your images Byron, I hope my comments helped a little. Nothing wrong with the images so great photography, just some pp adjustments :)

The thing is Byron you've critcised your own pictures, you know what you dont like about them. So why not go back do them again, get them as you like them then post them and ask for criticism? I do like your 'ghostly' cyclist!

Last edited:
Love both the shots! but i agree with above, the car head lights are quite distracting would make a big difference to dull them down just to the the sting out of them, great shots though.

Back