B&W Some photos from the last year

Name
Rowan
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,
Just a few photos from my travels earlier this year, any feedback would be much appreciated! It would also be great to hear opinions on the borders.
Thanks!
Rowan

22717347446_02deeff595_b.jpg

Chatting with a friend amongst the rooftops of San Francisco, USA.

22555446310_343ed906b8_b.jpg

Mountains in the distance on one of the salt flats of the Reserva Eduardo Avaroa in Bolivia.

22728867685_421c061419_b.jpg

Abstract view of rooftops and the ocean in Valparaiso, Chile.

22728957805_af996d412e_b.jpg

The Willis Tower partly obscured by fog in Chicago, USA.

Last edited:
Loving the contrast, number 2 for me, looks like the Salt Flat's?

It is! I should really put some captions on these

I prefer the city shots to the salt flats one, but I also really like the "finished" nature of these with the plain white frames as if they were just ready to hang on a wall. 1 & 3 have enough going on in them to draw the eye to different areas of the photo, so definitely worth a longer look. Good work.

I prefer the city shots to the salt flats one, but I also really like the "finished" nature of these with the plain white frames as if they were just ready to hang on a wall. 1 & 3 have enough going on in them to draw the eye to different areas of the photo, so definitely worth a longer look. Good work.

Thanks for the feedback! White borders are such a simple touch but they seem to really add to my images (especially the black and white ones.)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I think the borders add to an image to give what the impression would look like if it were framed with a mount, but im on the fence when it comes to "digital display" with the borders. When I say that, I mean that for other photos (mine included) it doesn't work, but for your deep-blacks/high contrasty images - they do work. I like these images too, especially the 2nd and 3rd images. (y)

A impressive set but I think the stand out image is the salt flats.

I am guessing the blacks have been taken down to a pure black on the base of the mountains.

I think the borders add to an image to give what the impression would look like if it were framed with a mount, but im on the fence when it comes to "digital display" with the borders. When I say that, I mean that for other photos (mine included) it doesn't work, but for your deep-blacks/high contrasty images - they do work. I like these images too, especially the 2nd and 3rd images. (y)

I agree, there are certain styles and compositions that suit borders better than others!

A impressive set but I think the stand out image is the salt flats.

I am guessing the blacks have been taken down to a pure black on the base of the mountains.

Thanks, that shot was definitely one of my favourites from the trip. I find the photo looks slightly different on different displays; I was aiming for close to true black but with just enough detail that the distant dust trail of a 4x4 could still be seen at the foot of the mountains.

Excellent set, terrific use of B&W, strong graphic quality to several of the shots. Good working of blocked out blacks too, this is really difficult to pull off. Marvellous.

Thanks a lot, I certainly feel like solid blacks are becoming a signature of mine!

Back