Some pretty droplet/splashes... and not a single mid-air collision!

Edit My Images
Yes
351 photos I took. Endless amounts of very pretty crowns and droplets and forms... but I don't care about them, I want the mid air collision!

Anyone got any tips? There are definitely multiple drops coming down. Tried using milk and water, into water.

Green8.jpg

Green4.jpg

Green3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice stuff, i have been trying to get similar thing, but no results.
This guy has produced some of the best i have seen and he uses a timed system to take them, his photo are epic http://www.flickr.com/photos/23362014@N06/sets/72157622430455740/

Thanks for that link Bill :) They are indeed awesome. Similar to this persons one: http://drippy2009.blogspot.com/ (same Flickr name) who I have been reading.

I wonder, as with that set of photos in the link from the flickr page you linked me to, whether I am actually not getting any impacts at all... and it's not just that I happen to not photograph them.

In all the water droplet/splash pictures I have taken, must be a couple of thousand, I have only ever got 2 mid air splashes :( And neither as amazing as those other peoples!

Know what you mean about lack of collisions, been trying for ages, taken hundreds of shots but not achieved one yet. I have a method to adjust the timing of the drops, but in makes no difference:(. Got to happen one day though, costs nothing to keep trying

Know what you mean about lack of collisions, been trying for ages, taken hundreds of shots but not achieved one yet. I have a method to adjust the timing of the drops, but in makes no difference:(. Got to happen one day though, costs nothing to keep trying

Exactly... been trying most of today too. Got some very pretty splashes... and finally, guess what?! One mid-air one. However, it's facing the wrong way, and we're seeing it length-onwards. At least that's what I think it is.

Tried and tried and this is the best I have achieved in literally hundred and hundreds of shots:

MidAir.jpg

I had the same problem too:( Taken hundreds and managed to capture no more than half a dozen. It's all about timing the drops and I think for that you need some electrical valve:thinking: Splog maybe along soon to offer advise!

I had the same problem too:( Taken hundreds and managed to capture no more than half a dozen. It's all about timing the drops and I think for that you need some electrical valve:thinking: Splog maybe along soon to offer advise!

Half a dozen is more than I've got! You're definitely right with the timing. It's got to be two drops that are exactly the right distance apart so that the second hit's the first as the first is rebounding up from its impact in the water. I have sryringes at home (not here), but I'm not sure if they will be useful or not... :thinking:

I use a piece of airline (used in aquaria) with a tiny g clamp (also used in aquaria) to adjust timing of the drops. Still no decent collisions though!!!

I use a piece of airline (used in aquaria) with a tiny g clamp (also used in aquaria) to adjust timing of the drops. Still no decent collisions though!!!

Ah! Well, that is exactly what I was going to go buy this afternoon... but your lack of luck doesn't sound good :(

Try googling mariotte siphon. This will give steady flow independent of the head of liquid which should help, the timing will still be trial and error though!

Try googling mariotte siphon. This will give steady flow independent of the head of liquid which should help, the timing will still be trial and error though!

I've done it! I've done it! I've got a good load of them! :D:D:D

Just about to post up a thread. I'm well chuffed!

Back