Some Rollei Retro

Nice shots, what developer/timings did you use? Last roll of 80S i shot came out horribly underdeveloped... or under exposed, is it actually an ISO 80 film? :p

Not sure about the 80s these were 100. I developed them using ID-11 stock for 9 minutes. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's best to rate the 80s as iso 40. Could be wrong though!

Last edited:
Well, whatever you did in terms of the developing tank and camera side of things, it looks like it worked okay (y) Decent range of tones from black to white, no nasty clumpy grain etc. Pity you had the same problem as I did last but one film, with dust/fibres etc. - my last but one looked like it'd been dried in a hoover bag :LOL:

1) I like the composition - good use of verticals with the trees etc, though perhaps I'd have liked to have seen it from maybe a step further back - just to get the left and right ends of the island in frame.

2) wouldn't change a thing - just makes me want to walk into the picture, down the row of trees.

3) Interesting old building, like the use of leading lines, though for me it's a shame that the hedge ends in a clump of bushes that obscure what looks to be the arched entryway of the building. Sadly, without getting in a "cherry-picker" to gain a bit of height, I guess seeing that doorway in frame won't be happening. I reckon you made the best of what you had to work with though (y)

4) I like this one, though if I was being hyper-critical - it looks a wee-bit off level - almost as if the skyline was level, rather than the "wet horizon" - this also makes the tapering chimney look as if it's more Pisa than Pembrokeshire. A gentle touch on the leveling tool, and a dust-mote or two removed, and it'd be sound though. I may even give the chimney a gentle dodge, just to lighten the shadow and bring out the rock detail. It's such a good picture, it's worth the extra bit of "working up" imho.

The second one stands out to me. Might be worth dev'ing in Rodinal next time? Rollei Retro 100 = Agfa APX100, which was classically believed to work very well in Rodinal.

An excellent series of shots. The 2nd is my favourite, just a beautiful image.

Andy

Nice series of shots. Well taken, with good contrast in the subjects for B&W and nicely developed too. I think home devving and scanning always leads to these marks though, they are almost impossible to get rid of. My negs and scanner always get a good going over with the rocket blower and it seems to clear most of them. Lightroom's clone brush then usually does a good job of stuff in the sky etc. I have even managed to fix marks on pavements near cracks!

Thanks all for the comments guys, once my current batch of ID-11 is used up I'll give Rodinal a try.

It was Rodinal i used, R09. That said i couldn't really find any dev times, the only one going was on the packet and... well, see for yourself.

5Wk3Hl.jpg

So i souped it for four minutes (you can kind of make it out when you shine a light on it) and...

z6PS5l.jpg

Was one of the better exposures. Scanner wouldn't have it though. Bit of an appro of nothing, but i want to give Caffenol a go. Maybe i'll try with my other roll of 80S...

Just had a look on the massive dev chart for 80s, for rodinal dilution 1:50 the time is four minutes. strange

Great shots, love the sharpness and tones. I am really liking the latest stuff you have been posting on your flickr.

(y)

Liam said:
Great shots, love the sharpness and tones. I am really liking the latest stuff you have been posting on your flickr.

(y)

Thank you very much Liam!

Back