Some Scans from my Slides

Name
Samuel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I've just gotten back the scans of a whole load of negatives, slides and prints that I've shot over the past year and a half when I started using film again. Here are a few of the slides that I had scanned, I'll probably post some more later and I'll start another thread for the negs at some point. They were scanned by Scanitall at 4000 dpi.

Comments and Critique welcome.

RVP_100F_Fields_and_Stone_Wall.jpg

Fujichrome Velvia 100F, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F, Pentax SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8.

f8, 1/125th.

Cropped to 1.4:1 Aspect Ratio

Around the Valley of the Gods area in the peak district at about 12:00. I've cropped out some of the right hand side as there was unfortunately half a tree creeping into the frame. I scale focused this for greater depth of field without loss of resolution by using a smaller aperture.

RVP_100F_Viaduct.jpg

f8, Polariser.

The Monsal Viaduct, same day as the picture above. I used a polariser to cut out the glare of the sunlight on the face of the stone.

RVP_100F_Fountain.jpg

f16, 1/8th, Soft ND Grad 0.6, Polariser, tripod, cable release.

The fountain at my university (Nottingham Trent, Clifton Campus). I was trying out the grad to get some experience with it and to cut down on some of the distracting reflections I used a screw in polariser and screwed the cokin holder into the polariser. It seemed to work fine.

K-64_Bridge.jpg

Kodak Kodachrome 64 (Metered at ISO 80), Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F, Vivitar Series 1 70 - 210mm f3.5 (Kiron Version).

f11, 1/125th.

The bridge taking the A52 over the river Trent. I took this at about the 135mm mark on the zoom and used f11 with focusing slightly in front of the bridge to ensure higher resolution for good depth of field. I underexposed this by 1/2 a stop to increase saturation.

K-64_Sunset.jpg

Kodak Kodachrome 64, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F, Vivitar Series 1 70 - 210mm f3.5 (Kiron Version).

1/30th.

I can't remember what aperture I used for this but I remember overexposing it by 1 stop to try to compensate for the sunset but the foreground still came out as a silhouette although I think it looks quite effective. Those Kodachrome colours look gorgeous to me in the picture. Taken at the 70mm end of the zoom.

Elite_Chrome_100_Extra_Colour_Ivanhoe_Beacon.jpg

Kodak Elite Chrome 100 Extra Colour, Zenit EM, Helios 44-M 58mm f2.

1/125th.

View from the top of Ivanhoe Beacon showing the rolling hills and paths. The Zenit actually meters quite well for slides and this was amongst the first slides that I ever shot.

What do you think of these?

Good select there.

However the only thing I would add maybe is:

1st one, the white on the clouds looks a little "blown out" if it was me I would use selection in PS and adjust adjust the levels very slightly to take the bright white out and add back a little detail.

5th one, nice sunset and colours in the cloud, but the large area of black in the bottom left drags the eye away from the sunset.

6th one again in the top left the blown clouds drag the eye away but it looks like the sun was there so may be a little more tricky do deal with. Mind you that Helios lens does work really well.

Thanks for the comments, on the 1st one I was in a bit of a hurry as I was walking with others and subsequently had to run after them to catch up so I just quickly metered and took the shot. Velvia is quite tight on exposure so I would have likely taken it half a stop less if I'd had the time to think about it.

Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone else have any comments or critique?

I rarely post shots on here so I'd like some indication of what you think of the few that I do!

Thanks, the scans were done by scanitall with a Nikon Coolscan LS-4000.

I've actually got that first shot, the viaduct and the bridge printed as a nice glossy 12"x8" prints. I did slightly darken the first in levels before sending it. What I personally like about it is the way that you can see all the field lit up by the sun coming through the gaps in the clouds and darkening it a bit actually increases the effect.

I think the quality of the scans has ruined the shots for you, they don't look very good quality at all. The Nikon Coolscan LS-4000 is not really a pro quality scanner, more of a home scanner.

I would recommend this guy if you want top quality, good price scanning.

If Colin Prior uses him for his scans you know he is good.

Ian Scovell Photographic

Perhaps if I really wanted to pay £3.75 to £10 for a 35mm scan then I would use somewhere like mentioned above. Unfortunately I am simply unable to afford prices like that when I had a total of 108 of my better to 'best' frames scanned. I paid 20p per slide/neg frame for 4000dpi scanning with the place that did mine, I know that there are better places that I would use if I had a smaller quantity to scan or wanted the 'best' for a specific reason if for instance I was selling the image. They did at one point have a 9000ED as they did a trial scan for me with it but they evidently no longer have it.

That scanner was originally a pro scanner when released in 2001 and whilst it may have been surpassed by now I don't see how it has 'ruined' the shots that I have taken. For your information, the clouds are slightly blown in the original slides as well, so it is of no fault of the scanner. Do remember that you are actually only viewing an image 800 pixels across when the original file is about 18 megapixels in size.
I would actually like information on the composition, exposure etc of the image rather than what is thought to be wrong with the scans.
Could you please actually say what you think is wrong with the scans?

Last edited:
The scans IMO are lacking detail/sharpness, colour saturation and shadow detail seems to have been totaly lost. I did not mean to offend you by my comment, I was merely stating that a better quality scan would provide a far better looking image, in terms of quality of image/exposure etc.

Most of these were taken on Fujichrome Velvia 100F, as along with being extremely tight on exposure, its extremely difficult to scan properly as it has a tendency to block up in the shadows as I'm sure a lot of other people who have shot and scanned it will agree. A lot of them were also taken on an overcast day which would limit saturation and Kodachrome 64 is not an overtly saturated film either.

Last edited:
Back