Some wierd results from moonlight.

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Well the moon was bright a few weeks ago so I thought I'd see how my cameras coped.....stuck the cameras out from the top window looking down, and all hand held so ignore camera shake......erm it looks like only the T90 with Kodak400 doesn't have a problem and gives results as I saw it, although the BC1 got the car colour right which was silver:-

Canon T90 kodak 400asa
T90.jpg

Praktica BC1 on Jessops 200asa
BC-1.jpg

Nikon2000 on Agfa vista
Nikonn2000.jpg

Last edited:
very interesting brian. Do you remember the approx speed/f stop values

Only that the shutter speed was more than 10 sec for all cameras, when I couldn't find a way of getting a tripod set up to poke out of the window, I lost interest in doing it in some sort of scientific way. But next time I'll go out into the street.

Well had another go at shooting in moonlight and erm it came out like a crappy daytime shot after selecting colour correction in the scanner....it's not easy as you have to try and remember what the original scene looked like to get the pic looking right.

20secs, Kodak 200 asa, Minolta 58mm lens at f1.4 bright moonlight, SRT101b camera
11thnov014800px.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see someone still using a T90, haven't used mine for ages, must give it an airing. My wife says I should bin it if I don't use it. :nuts:
________
Weed vaporizer

Last edited:
Nice to see someone still using a T90, haven't used mine for ages, must give it an airing. My wife says I should bin it if I don't use it.

Have you regularly fired the shutter on your T90? Unless you fire it at least once a month generally then the shutter can become sticky/jammed resulting in the dreaded 'EEE' error on the LCD display and 'HELP' being shown in the viewfinder. Its though that dirt on the shutter magnets causes this but anyway it ends up as a very expensive repair.

What you are seeing is how some films cope with longer exposures, or reciprocity failure. The colours also depend on how the scan was colour corrected.

Your final moonshot pic reminds me of these stunning portraits, all shot on 5x4 tranny with a blip of flash and an exposure of around 5-10secs

http://www.chaskielberg.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=0 Enjoy :)
Alejandro Chaskielberg is exhibiting at my uni as part of the Photo Biennial at the moment, his photos look absolutely stunning as metre wide plus prints.

I think the flare in the second shot will have had an effect on the colours/exposure as well excalibur!

***I think the flare in the second shot will have had an effect on the colours/exposure as well excalibur!***

The bright light on the table was just a white toy, but amazingly the colours are all appx correct except they are too vivid....anyway I'm guessing but in real life the scene might have looked like this (probably a bit darker)? erm one advantage of a digital camera for instant results eh:-
11thnov014800pxpt2.jpg

Last edited:
I meant the second posted image (the second of your car/driveway) rather than the second subject :p

The Jessops and Agfa look similar because the film was made in the same factory!
Film manufactures used to state in the boxes that they would only give neutral results one hour after sunrise and one before sunset and at speeds between 1 sec and 1/10,000 sec.
The difference in colour being the non linear part of the curve coupled with reciprocity failure.
Mark

I meant the second posted image (the second of your car/driveway) rather than the second subject :p

Ah...I've no idea how the flare got into the shot, but it looks like a curtain starting from the front of the car......maybe the seals have decayed somewhere in the camera :shrug: but there's no problem using the camera faster than a sec.

Back