Somebody Stop Me!

Edit My Images
No
I have tried not to think about it. I have tried counselling and therapy. You people are my only hope.

I think I'm about to buy a Canon 40d to replace my trusty 350d - can anyone give me a good reason why I shouldn't (without mentioning Nikon of course as all my glass is Canon)?

Help me!!!

:shrug:because it may improve your photography so much you feel the need for a 1d mk III??:shrug:

I'd say do it, I just upgraded my 300D to a 40D and the difference is huge and with £100 cash back it's a steal.

Sorry, I meant to say don't do it.:)

Why shouldn't you?

Well, why should you? What specifically about the 350D do you think is preventing you from taking the pictures you want to take?

(Judging from your web site, I'd say: not much.)

If I were you I'd be spending my money on lenses instead.

The only serious consideration is a) Can you afford it? and more importantly b) Would you see a better return on investment if you spent the cash on glass? Both questions only you can answer, if you have the cash and a good lens line up get the body if your lens lineup isn't great get some glass!

Yep can't agree more....I got my 20d upgraded when our cat decided to test it for how urine resistant it was....best thing my cat has ever done for me....and thanks insurance company for replacing it with a 40d.

Best SLR I have had!

I did the same thing upgraded from a 350D to a 40D really happy with the 40D, apart from anything else prefer the handing of the larger body
I kept the 350D and still use it as a second body
Pete

OK, Ill help you out a bit Nigel....

Whatever you do ... DO NOT read this thread here

DO NOT go checking the animal forum for CT's recent birding shots,

and most importantly of all ..... DO NOT go showing me the pics when youve bought it! :D

I can stop you easily. In fact, you can stop yourself. :)

Have a look on all the photographs you did with 350D. And then try to estimate, how big percent of "goodness" of these pictures comes from the camera. If you will find that your pictures are great because your camera is great, sell 350D and do something else. :)

If you will find out, that you have pushed 350D to the max - get other camera.

Simple. :)

Camera does not matter, dude. If it does not stand in your way for taking better pictures, it's ok the way it is.

:)

Why shouldn't you?
Well, why should you? What specifically about the 350D do you think is preventing you from taking the pictures you want to take?

Now that is a good question - I think I pretty much have the glass I need (I like to be mobile and have options so this is what I carry:
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 Macro
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5 - f/4.5 USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

I know I could go to L series and a really big white lens would be nice - but in general this stuff does the job.

For me I just think that a little more dynamic range and tonal quality would be good and I think the Digic III processor is the main reason for looking at the 40d

Plus, I've been really good this year, and it's my Birthday on the 19th May!

I think I've just talked myself into it (though I'll be blaming you lot of course!!!)

Bigger lcd.... highlight priority (saves blown highlights) liveview great for macros shots in particular... 3 custom modes for you to set the camera how you want at the flick of a switch,....and the list goes on.

Something you will certainly not regret for one moment.

Oh, sorry... I was supposed to be telling why you SHOULDN'T be getting one!! :D

Just get it! (I'm a Nikon man though!!!)

It's bit like when I was thinking of upgrading my laptop. Saw this all singing one in PC World. Think I wore the floor out around the laptop keep looking at it in the store!!! Finally one day I thought I can't stand it anymore and said to the salesman "I'll have it"! Came out grinning like a cheshire cat!

DONT DO IT (if you have small childish hands and wimpy arm muscles.)

otherwise - upgrade upgrade upgrade, life is too short to be sensible.....

life is too short to be sensible.....

It sure is..............procrastinate no longer..............go out and get the bugger..............and enjoy it! (y) :woot:

Buy it before the end of June for the cashback! I just did!

Camera does not matter, dude. If it does not stand in your way for taking better pictures, it's ok the way it is.:)

This is true, and trust me - I know it's the photographer not the camera - I'm never the first to upgrade, and I still have some great shots on file from my first ever digital camera, the Sony Mavica FD75 (yes that's 1 megapixel of raw power - stored directly in-camera to floppy disk!!!)

Those forum regulars who are familiar with my work would attest that I do try to get the most out of a camera, (take a look if you like)and I'm certainly not an equipment obsessive (Someone said to me the other day that they were a "real photographer" because they used a tripod - still haven't stopped laughing about that one!) but all that said I do feel that my shots will benefit from the upgrade.

So there it is - I held out as long as I could - but I've cracked and the ordered it - should be here before the weekend!!!

(phew!)

Thanks for your quite frankly pitiful attempts to stop me ;););)

Congratulations(y)

i doubt you will regret it

OK, Ill help you out a bit Nigel....

Whatever you do ... DO NOT read this thread here

DO NOT go checking the animal forum for CT's recent birding shots,

and most importantly of all ..... DO NOT go showing me the pics when youve bought it! :D

:LOL: :LOL:

I agree don't do any of that! It's what made me poorer :LOL:

Isn't there a 40D MkII due out in a couple of months? ;-)

Just kidding. I almost got the 40d after I found the 350d a bit small for my hands. I got a 5d in the end for the simple reason I am a showoff and happened to come into a bit of cash at the right time. But I still carry the 350 around with me a lot of the time.

Back