Someone help please!

ged

Name
Gerard
Edit My Images
No
I am looking to buy a DSLR, and i have but one simple question...

Canon 50D with 18-200

or

40D with 17-85

:confused:

All the reviews just confuse me more.

Regards

I am looking to buy a DSLR, and i have but one simple question...

Canon 50D with 18-200

or

40D with 17-85

:confused:

All the reviews just confuse me more.

Regards

Hi,

It may seem like a simple question but it's a little difficult to answer without knowing what your intending to shoot.

Are you thinking of landscapes, portraits, macro, sports etc?

Well, i like action and sport such as rallying, cars, ect..

I do shoot a few landscapes, sunsets here and there.

My main use will most likely be rallying ***, as i just cant get my shots sharp enough with my coolpx p80

Oh, and also i do go into telephoto alot, as in more the 100mm, so thats why im reluctant to look at the 17-85

Personally, I would buy a fast telephoto prime, maybe a 100mm 2.8 rather than a cheaper zoom.
Or

Canon's 70-200 f/4 would also be a very worthy contender for me, that's fairly sharp, versatile and more budget friendly.

I much prefer the sharpness from fixed focal lengths but as you'll see, everyone has varying preferences and budget will dictate what's possible.

Trick is to avoid subtle upgrades and sometimes save longer to get what you really need rather than what you can afford at the time.

If you shoot rally more than any other subject, IMO it would be better to kit yourself up for that category rather than buy cheaper to have more focal ranges.

T.

i get you,

So then that brings us back to the first bit, 40d? or 50D, iv read the reviews, and there seems to be some faluts with the 50, but not so much with the 40...

i get you,

So then that brings us back to the first bit, 40d? or 50D, iv read the reviews, and there seems to be some faluts with the 50, but not so much with the 40...

I have buddies with both and both are good camera's, they both have roughly the same frame rate though and accepting that the glass is more important, a 40D and a 70-200 f/4 could be a better set up for you.

You can get very picky over the differences between bodies, some will mention that the 50D has a much better auto focus capability, but bodies will be with you for a finite time period, where as lenses (good ones) will more than likely stay with you.

If you are on a budget, a 2nd hand 40D and spend the balance of your hard earned cash on decent lenses. Cameras come and go but good lenses last a very long time (I know people using lenses more than 15 years old)

tbh either body would be great, I have a 50d but have never used a 40d

If possible I would get the 17-85 and a telezoom (I love primes but if your starting out it might be easiest to try zooms first) like a 70-200f4 or if budget will stretch the 70-200f2.8

Glass is generally a better investment than bodies

If you are on a budget, a 2nd hand 40D and spend the balance of your hard earned cash on decent lenses. Cameras come and go but good lenses last a very long time (I know people using lenses more than 15 years old)

my 80-200 is 29 :p could do with an upgrade the next time I have a spare grand laying around

ahh, iv do know of this problem, but thing is with me, im only 15, i will have to make do with the camera i bu probably for 3-5 years.. soo..

Number 1 thing is a good lens, i gather that now...

And the only reason i was looking at a 18-200, was i dont want to change lenses out in the field and risk getting dust on the sensor :confused:

Unless you're in a really dusty environment, don't worry about it. Just be sensible. Keep rear caps clean, rear elements clean (little rocket blower for this), change lenses with the camera facing down, do everything as quickly as possible, etc.

Thanks, guys, youv been a help. but i think at the end of the day, it comes down to personal opinons and requirments. so, i will have a look at all the lenses sugested, as you all say, the glass is the important bit ;)

I own the 40D and the 50D, and much prefer my 50D. Both cameras are very good and whilst I prefer the 50D I still think the 40D is excellent. The 50D wins out for me with the brighter LCD and the changes made to the menu which I feel has made it more convenient to use. THe only downside I have found is only having C1 & C2 as apposed to the 40D's C1, 2 & 3. I don't use live view so cant really comment on that area. Hope this helps.

Denis :)

Back