"Something Different" - my brief for a portrait

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Hello people

Portraits aren't my speciality, but for a big upcoming job I've got, part of it includes doing a portrait of the president of a large organisation. They have plenty of pics of him already, and are looking for something a bit 'different'.

Just wondered if anyone had any bright ideas as I'm lacking inspiration at the moment. As a bit of background on the guy, he's a fairly usual 60 odd, suit and tie, glasses, quite tall and slim. Nothing unusual or inspiring to be honest!

The sort of 'portraits' I normally do are pretty corporate, just turn up and shoot affairs, not knowing what will be there til I get there. This kind of thing:

Any suggestions welcome :)

What type of business is he running.

Maybe use some props from the product line?

What type of business is he running.

Maybe use some props from the product line?

Hi PsiFox - not a business as such - president of a large educational establishment if that helps. And he's a professor.

Do you have to shoot him in context or are there any hobbies you could utilise?

Do you have to shoot him in context or are there any hobbies you could utilise?

Not sure yet, not got the full details. You mean his hobbies AliB? God knows what they are, but could find out. What would you have in mind?

Hashe been done in his professorial robes?

Throwing a mortarboard in the air?

What sort of professor?

Literature surround him with piles of books.

Science take him in a lab

Think laterally.

Take it the other way, picture him as a student.

By which I mean sitting in lecture theatres or studying in the library, not passed out drunk outside the nearest hostelry.

Take it the other way, picture him as a student.

By which I mean sitting in lecture theatres or studying in the library.

That sounds good to me were "always learning" even Professors I guess

You could go for comedy value. Dunce's cap, writing lines on the blackboard; that kind of thing. Don't know how receptive they'd be to that kind of thing though. Using a skeleton from the science block as a prop is always an option too!

You could go for comedy value. Dunce's cap, writing lines on the blackboard; that kind of thing. Don't know how receptive they'd be to that kind of thing though. Using a skeleton from the science block as a prop is always an option too!

I'm always up for comedy value. However, in this case I'm 99.9% certain it won't be a goer. Still, you never know.

Good suggestions so far folks, appreciate this. Keep em coming!

Why not away from the corporate,academic angle evryone is thinking and go for a griittier shot, maybe in a run down urban environment with graffitti etc or a disused factory/plant with ruined buildings and shoot from low down to get some sky (I'm sure you get the idea! :D). I realise it has nothing to do with his profession but if they are looking for something different it might just work.

What's the photo going to be used for? What is the audience and what are they trying to 'sell' to that audience?

What exactly is his field?
How does he see himself? How do others regard him?

Do they have a mission or vision statement (I know these things are usually ******** but may give you a hint)?

What is the location of the place like? Dreaming spires? Ivory towers? urban wasteland?

oops! there's a swearfilter...

Last edited:
i very much like the style of the portrait you have posted here as an example and wonder wether you could so something similar with a softened background which has some relevence to the sitter i.e in the library with other staff members or the grounds/building. maybe its not different enough though.

Not sure yet, not got the full details. You mean his hobbies AliB? God knows what they are, but could find out. What would you have in mind?

Yep, if he is into hillwalking or sailing or heaven only knows.... photography, you could portray him in a more casual way but reveal a little of the man himself.

i very much like the style of the portrait you have posted here as an example and wonder wether you could so something similar with a softened background which has some relevence to the sitter i.e in the library with other staff members or the grounds/building. maybe its not different enough though.

Thanks f.box. All natural light and low aperture is my style anyway, and has the corporate look that clients seem to like. I'd like to try something a bit different though, as well as them asking for something a bit different. Problem is though, what do they class as 'different'.
There's no rush on this, but it's good to be thinking about it now.

More great suggestions too thanks folks :) I quite like Hacker's idea of getting away from academia imagery completely, but not sure they'd be up for that.

Back