sony 200

Name
Frank
Edit My Images
Yes
Any one got, or use a sony 200, as I am thinking of swapping from my Nikon D40
for said camera

Frank

Frank , look in the dedicated Sony Alpha thread a little down the page.

Julian

frank, i just posted last night on the sony thread my laymans reactions to the a200. i also posted a photo which makes me look like a better photographer than i actually am, and i'm giving the credit for that to the a200. unfortunately, i'm not really a camera buff (as yet) and i can give you a comparison to the d40.

hope this helps:)

the a200 is a great camera that I love to use, but youd be better (now your on nikon) staying with your d40. The a200 is like sony's d40 only has a few more megapixels, no big deal

Unless you find the d40 particularly not very good, i wouldnt bother switching now

i'm too thinking of going down sony route from my nikon d40

After quite a few years of compacts and bridge cameras, I decided to dip my toes into the DSLR pool and purchased an A200 a couple of months ago.
I've wasted a few bob due to "lens fever" but have no complaints with the camera at all. Easy to use, appears very well screwed together, very good results (to my eyes at least) and good value for money.
No regrets with my purchase.
Rob

smiffy, what are the costs of your lenses:
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Minolta 50mm f1.7, Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro

do you use the kit lens much, as you have the sigma?

smiffy, what are the costs of your lenses:
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Minolta 50mm f1.7, Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro

do you use the kit lens much, as you have the sigma?

The 17-70mm Sigma cost about £230.00
Minolta 50mm f1.7 £55.00 from e-bay (;))
Tamron 70-300mm cost about £85.00 again from e-bay but brand new.

I will keep the kit lens as a "back-up" to the Sigma. It's not a bad lens at all, capable of some very good results. It's not worth selling it because they fetch peanuts second hand (there is a brand new one in the sales forum that has just been reduced to £40.00 :eek:).

Ignore the subject matter, (it was just a quick "snap"), but the picture below was taken with the kit lens and I've no complaints with the results.
2008_0727flowers0088.jpg

The Sigma was purchased after reading reviews and on personal recommendation, plus the fact I had a few bob spare at the time. I could have quite happily stuck with the Sony lens had the money been a bit tighter!!

If you are on a bit of a budget then my recommendations would be the A200 with the standard kit lens, a used Minolta 50mm f1.7 (second hand off of ebay or similar) and for a decent zoom a Minolta 70-210 f4 "Beercan"...I'm currently bidding on one and if I win it, will sell the 70-300mm Tamron.
You can pick up a 50mm f1.7 for around £50.00 and a Beercan will usually fetch in the region of £150.00.
So for around £450.00 in total you could end up with a brand new Sony A200 with lenses that will cover all your requirements (unless you wanted to get into "Macro" or extreme wide angle in a big way) and would give great results.
Bear in mind your kit lens will cover the 50mm range so you don't really need to buy the Minolta 50mm f1.7 really..........but you would be silly not to. It's such a great quality lens and is easily worth the £50.00 (or thereabouts) outlay.
HTH
Rob

thanks

Minolta 50mm f1.7, will be on the list ;-)

for a decent zoom, and slightly cheaper, is there much difference between sony and tamron 70-300mm?

thanks

Minolta 50mm f1.7, will be on the list ;-)

for a decent zoom, and slightly cheaper, is there much difference between sony and tamron 70-300mm?

Another one to consider is the Minolta 75-300.With the 8 contacts on bottom.Another cracking lens for the money

75-300 options are, sony, tamron, minolta.
hmm, throw another into the mix. well i'll go for the cheapest and best option, which is?

75-300 options are, sony, tamron, minolta.
hmm, throw another into the mix. well i'll go for the cheapest and best option, which is?

Most probably a nice almost un-used Tamron (which I will be selling when I can lay my hands on a Beercan) ;););)

I have the beercan70-210(cracking lens).minolta 75-300 (8 contacts)and Sony 75-300.The minolta 75-300 feels alot better quality and heavier then the Sony and takes good photos

JMIC, so you would put in order as, minolta, sony, tamron?

what do you mean with 8 contacts? how much is the minolta, assuming at used only?
sony isn't that expensive, with tamron the cheapest i think.

JMIC, so you would put in order as, minolta, sony, tamron?

what do you mean with 8 contacts? how much is the minolta, assuming at used only?
sony isn't that expensive, with tamron the cheapest i think.

if you look on the bottom of the lens.the end that goes unto the camera,there are brass coloured contacts.These give the info to the camera.Some Minolta 75-300 have only 5 contacts,so not all info passed from lens to camera.The beercan only have 5 contacts as far as I know.I would place the lens, With Minolta first for build quality (more metal then plastic)followed by the Sony and then tamron.Again just my opinion as I havent used the tamron.You can pickup the Minolta 75-300 for under £100.Hope this helps

thanks JIMC

is there a reason why you have both sony and minolta 75-300? surely you don't use the sony one if you prefer the minolta?

just putting my hand up as another sony a200 owner.

all I can say is that I am very pleased with the camera. even if I hadn't already owned minolta lenses I would have still chosen the sony...for its spec and good value, and its very easy to navigate. having said that, my 2nd choice was a d60.

thanks JIMC

is there a reason why you have both sony and minolta 75-300? surely you don't use the sony one if you prefer the minolta?
Started out with the A100 and two kit lens.18-75 & 75-300(all in the forsale section).then bought the nifty 50.got a chance of a beercan and Minolta 75-300 from same person.Then bought A350.Since then bought the Nikon d300 and a few lens to go with that.Keeping this and the A350.

Started out with the A100 and two kit lens.18-75 & 75-300(all in the forsale section).then bought the nifty 50.got a chance of a beercan and Minolta 75-300 from same person.Then bought A350.Since then bought the Nikon d300 and a few lens to go with that.Keeping this and the A350.

oopps, so you are and i asked about it in the for sale section too.

think that is the route i want to go a300/a350, with nifty 50 and a 70-300 and also would like a wide angle too, then stop i think.

Back