Sony a6500 grip issues.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Wow, ive not posted here in a long time.

So back in July i decided to get back into photography and i bought a brand new Sony A6500 and an 18-105 f4 G OSS to start me off.

Now im absolutely loving the features and image quality from the camera but I've got 1 or 2 small gripes which i cant get past.

The first is the grip. Its rather small and I have found that with prolonged use my hand starts to cramp up quite severely.

Is there something i can get to make the grip larger and more comfortable to use over longer periods?

And secondly, i spent the day at bristol zoo last week and i was shooting in aperture mode and at some point during the day i had accidentally switched from Auto ISO and ramped it up to 51200 ISO without noticing right away and had maybe taken about 9 or 10 pictures before realising what i had done.

Is there a way to disable the ISO button on the turny dial button thingy on the back once ive set it to Auto ISO?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i am still learning how to use this camera.

Is there a way to disable the ISO button on the turny dial button thingy on the back once ive set it to Auto ISO?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i am still learning how to use this camera.

There should be, I've disabled it on my A7. Wade through the menu and you should see it.

If you put something over the existing grip it will then be too close to the lens and you'll just get your fingers caught there. In general, mirrorless cameras tend to be smaller than DSLRs and you have to shop carefully if you do have oversize paws. It might be worth looking at the Sony A7 III as that has a larger grip to house the new battery. You'll probably want a grip extension as the body is still shallow but that's easily dealt with.

If you put something over the existing grip it will then be too close to the lens and you'll just get your fingers caught there. In general, mirrorless cameras tend to be smaller than DSLRs and you have to shop carefully if you do have oversize paws. It might be worth looking at the Sony A7 III as that has a larger grip to house the new battery. You'll probably want a grip extension as the body is still shallow but that's easily dealt with.
Hmmm [emoji848] thats a good point. The problem i have is that it almost feels as though i am pinching the grip with my fingertips rather than being able to get a full hold of the thing and my knuckles are already slightly rubbing on the lens without adding more bulk to it.

I had an A6000 a couple of years back and never noticed this problem back then, although i have noticed the grip is slightly different on the A6500.

As for looking at the A7iii.. As much as I'd love one, i couldnt even entertain the idea after only having this just over a month.

I have the same set up but have added a smallrig with rosewood grip and a fotodiox thumb grip to improve holding comfort and balance at a cost about £80 in total but has made a real difference for me. I have always had thumb issues with the smaller bodied cameras which the thumb grip seems too solve.
Thumb grips are available on ebay in a variety of colours for as little as a fiver delivered from Hong Kong as it seems a struggle to find one over here for some reason. In the end, i shipped one (Fotodiox) over from the B&H store in New York at a cost of £35 including shipping.

Lensmate also do a thumb grip which is between £50 and £70, the advantage that the Lensmate and Fotodiox have over the eBay cheap one is that they are both hinged so you do not have to detach it to get at the controls.

I wouldn't try it myself but that's not to say it won't work though.

Back