Sony Alpha 5000 - keeps on shutting off and turning on constantly

Name
Alex V
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks !
So I've had this Sony A5000 for 5 years now, and as of last year, whenever I want to use it, it always shuts off and then after 3 seconds, turns itself back on.
I removed the lens, and with the lens removed, it does the same - so we can discarg the idea of the lens being at fault here.

And since it first began to do this (1 year ago) up to present, it only got worse, meaning that now, I can't use it all since it shuts itself off every 6 seconds or so.

Do you guys have any idea why this is happening and is there a way to repair it?

I would hate to have to spend some hundreds of bucks now, on a new camera.

Thank you in advance,
Alex

Last edited:
Hi Alex and welcome to TP

None too sure what to suggest.........but did it at any time in the past get wet with saltwater?

Any water ingress can cause very odd effects to electronic equipment. In the case of sea/saltwater ingress, there will be corrosion caused........and I recall reading that some such corrosion can be very slow and progressive i.e. can be limited initially to no or little obvious immediate effects but symptoms occur much later.

HTH perhaps?

Last edited:
Hi Box - Thank you for your quick reply.
Sounds interesting and yes, I did take it to the sea side a few times, maybe a few water drops from my hair would be enough to make their way to some circuit board.
I was hoping that this problem was a more generic one with also a simple solution that works.
I guess that I should take it in for repair? Do you think it's worth the repair costs?
Or would it be better if I opened it up and just check to see if there is no debris stuck anywhere at all?

Thanks again!

I surmise the cost of repairs will exceed its value. Though check with Sony to see what they say? But if once opened they find evidence of corrosion due to seawater ingress, it is possible they may still have a flat rate charge for looking?

Your choice to 'open it and look for debris but I doubt you will find anything of note.....but if it is now a low value, then nothing to lose!

I've been having this same issue with my Sony a5000 -- as Alex describes, it started off happening only occasionally, then got progressively worse such that the camera became incredibly frustrating to use. I've never gotten it wet with salt water or any other liquid, so I doubt that's the problem with mine. Any fixes?

Thanks <3

Back