Sony DSC-H9 vs Canon 350d

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

Happy 2008 to one and all.

Anyone who has seen my previous posts will hopefully understand that I am a real newby to photography and still very dumb!!!

I have a Canon 350d with EF-S 18-55 USM II kit lens. I have been taking a few nice pics with it but find focus is sometimes very difficult to achieve on anything other than an inanimate object (ie a person) and am not getting on too well with nightime landscape shots (of lit/semi lit buildings etc etc) and wonder if a so called "bridge camera" such as the afore mentioned Sony would be better suited to a pleb such as myself??? I mention the Sony only to give you an idea of the kind of kit I'm talking about so any other suggestions are welcome.

My main questions I suppose are:-
Would the picture quality be anything near that of my 350d?
Would my life be made easier with a different lens/body?
Any other comments or tips are very welcome.

I am going on holiday to Las Vegas in about 7 weeks and want to be totally happy with my kit before I go as the photo ops will be plentiful!!! I will also need something that will be able to handle the nightime neon shots etc.

Which focusing, metering and program mode are you using when you're trying to focus on moving subjects?
What are your settings for night time landscape shots?
Could you post any samples with exif data?

Would the picture quality be anything near that of my 350d?
Picture quality could be similar at lower sensitivities (ok, probably only about ISO 100).

Would my life be made easier with a different lens/body?
Possibly, but if the reasons you're not happy with your photos are simply user errors, then it's not very likely.

Any other comments or tips are very welcome.
It would be better if you tried to answer my questions above, then it should be easier for us to advise you.

Back