Sony DSC-HX1

Edit My Images
Yes
I currently use the DSC-H50 and im considering upgrading to the DSC-HX1 for the extra focal length. I am also interested in the quality because I know the DSC-H50 has terrible noise on ISO 400 and above. I dont know a lot about sensors, but I know the sensor in the DSC-H50 is a 1/2.3" Super HAD CCD and the DSC-HX1 has a 1/2.4" Exmor CMOS sensor. I read somewhere that the smaller the sensor, the more noise there is, so surely the Exmor in the DSC-HX1 is better?

I currently use the DSC-H50 and im considering upgrading to the DSC-HX1 for the extra focal length. I am also interested in the quality because I know the DSC-H50 has terrible noise on ISO 400 and above. I dont know a lot about sensors, but I know the sensor in the DSC-H50 is a 1/2.3" Super HAD CCD and the DSC-HX1 has a 1/2.4" Exmor CMOS sensor. I read somewhere that the smaller the sensor, the more noise there is, so surely the Exmor in the DSC-HX1 is better?

I don't know much about bridge cameras (or cameras as a whole) but I believe you're right in that smaller sensors are more prone to noise. But when you're talking a difference of 0.1" of an inch, I can't imagine this will make a huge difference. It's probably worth checking out some reviews and looking at some sample images and going from there.

Back