Sony RX 100 Mk7

Edit My Images
Yes
A great high-end expensive camera totally ruined by the same old doors that I'm sure are the same as the ones I had on the Mk1 back in 2012 I think it was.

Shame on you Sony.

Last edited:
Dave.. sorry I don't understand, can you explain ? I've had an RX100 VII since June, (not that I've used it that much), and it seems to do what I expected it to do. Am I missing something ?

Probably the doors that cover cable connections and battery etc

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion.

I refer to the tiny plastic fragile things that cover the connectors, the battery/card door is just about good enough.

Whilst there's no doubt the RX100 VII packs an amazing amount of tech into such a small body, I have to say that I've find the image quality at anything over 400-800 ISO to degrade very quickly - maybe 20MP was just a bit too much ? I remember having my Nikon 1 bodies, which also used a 1" Sensor albeit with "only" 14mp, and looking at some photos from it last night, I found the images at ISO800 and 1600 eminently more useful and pleasing (and the Nikon V1 and V2 were launched nearly 12 years ago !).

I also find the image stabilization of the RX100 VII a bit poor and maybe provides 2 stops max, and it's effect in videos is abysmal. I guess that's the price for all this technology in such a small package and the relatively slow maximum aperture at anything other than 24mm (equivalent) ?

Last edited:
Whilst there's no doubt the RX100 VII packs an amazing amount of tech into such a small body, I have to say that I've find the image quality at anything over 400-800 ISO to degrade very quickly - maybe 20MP was just a bit too much ? I remember having my Nikon 1 bodies, which also used a 1" Sensor albeit with "only" 14mp, and looking at some photos from it last night, I found the images at ISO800 and 1600 eminently more useful and pleasing (and the Nikon V1 and V2 were launched nearly 12 years ago !).

I also find the image stabilization of the RX100 VII a bit poor and maybe provides 2 stops max, and it's effect in videos is abysmal. I guess that's the price for all this technology in such a small package and the relatively slow maximum aperture at anything other than 24mm (equivalent) ?
There is an amazing amount of tech in a body that size - the stabilization is lens based, which will never touch in-body stabilization, but, if you can live with its limitations, there's nothing close to it for putting in a pocket and taking it everywhere with you.

I try to keep ISO to 400 or lower - my one wish which will probably never come about is to have the ability to set an upper ISO limit..... I do get the feeling that Sony deliberately 'cripple' this model a bit, and always have done - ISO limiting, touch screen functionality etc. Certain little things really pee me off, like when in A mode showing the little histogram, when you press the control ring to key in exposure compensation the histogram vanishes...... :whistle:

You can set an upper ISO limit in Auto ISO, Go to Auto ISO, select the right arrow key, then you can select the default upper and lower limit:

You can set an upper ISO limit in Auto ISO, Go to Auto ISO, select the right arrow key, then you can select the default upper and lower limit:

Ah, fantastic, cheers..... I just remember watching or reading something about no ISO limits, but it must have been for an earlier model than what I've got....

I never understand people who say they'll only use ISO up to x. You guys must have amazing self control. I haven't. If I see a picture I want to take and I have a camera with me I take the picture no matter what the ISO goes to as IMVHO any picture is better than none and if it's useable, great, and if it isn't at least I tried and maybe it'll work as a mono :D

Sometimes wider apertures and longer shutter speeds just aren't the answer and upping the ISO is the only thing to do, if you want the picture. I suppose you guys just stop and put the camera away.

I've never used a Sony RX100, I went for the Panasonic TZ100 and for me that 1" sensor camera can give a useable picture at ISO 12,800. There'll be noise of course but a whole picture could well be useable.

Thinking back to my film days taking pictures in clubs ISO 1600 was if I'm remembering it right pretty noisy plus I'd be at double digit shutter speeds which were next to useless for people shots. I think I'd possibly take my Panasonic TZ100 (1" sensor compact) at ISO 12,800 with all the benefits that brings for shutter speed over anything I got from film. I know it's not the film days any more but for convenience I do think that these 1" sensor cameras can have their uses when we don't want to use anything bigger and if we can avoid pixel peeping.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion.

I refer to the tiny plastic fragile things that cover the connectors, the battery/card door is just about good enough.

The door on the charger port on mine came off when I wasn't using the camera. I've an idea where it came off but no idea how. And it seems impossible to get a replacement, at least not without going to Japan.

I managed to bu99er the charge door on my Mk 1 but have been more careful with my Mk vi so it remains unbu99ered - so far! It's (Mk vi) had far more use than the Mk 1 got too.

Sorry for the confusion.

:oops: :$ So I am assuming you would use these plastic covers often! I bought extra batteries and chargers for my RX100's, have a card reader, and don't need to connect the camera via mini HDMI to anything. 3x RX100's in, and none have lost their covers.

If you planned on using the covers though, they are not the best designed or most robust things, so maybe a wise choice to return the RX100 Mk7. Hope you find something that gets close to what the Mk7 can do, but I don't know of anything else close.

Reactions: Nod
You'd have thought that they'd make them easily replacable if the design dicates that they need to be so lightweight.

but, if you can live with its limitations, there's nothing close to it
:whistle:
Hmm ? I have owned 3 iterations of the RX100. I currently own the Canon G5X MK 11 and for me the Canon is preferable. The Sony's were always like trying to handle a bar of soap, no problem handling the Canon. "20.1 mp sensor, 5x zoom 24-120mm f1.8-2.8 and a great example of a touch screen. Maybe the Sony has more 'bells & whistles' but for a great handling, 'pocket friendly' camera for photography (I rarely use video) I would say the canon is extremely close to the Sony RX. ;)

You'd have thought that they'd make them easily replacable if the design dicates that they need to be so lightweight.
This is the first thread anywhere I have read about the quality of the covers on RX100 cameras, and as I have said above, have not experienced any problems myself, so I am not sure how much of a problem it is, and if it is a large problem, people don't seem to talk about it much. :thinking:

I have a Mk 2 and have not had a problem with quality. Never used HDMI. Only issue I have is opening the cover to charge it when I have just cut my finger nails.

The Sony's were always like trying to handle a bar of soap,
I didn't find them that bad, :LOL: but my #2 and #3 have the Sony AGR2 Grip on, which many owners advise also getting, and that gives the fingers something to hook on to. With all my compact cameras though, not just the Sony's, I have always had the camera strap also around my wrist when taking pics. ;)

The Canon G5X v1 or v2 were not options when I decided to get the first RX100(Mk3), and the design of the original GX5 would not have appealed because of the size and design anyway, regardless of the features. That the G5X II design has got closer to the RX100 design shows how popular that form factor was/is. For me though, the Sony's are just more compact and better in more areas. You pays your money and you make your choice. ;):LOL:

I've got the JJC grip and just couldn't use the camera without it ..... a bar of soap is an apt description!

1701886305126_copy_835x596.jpg

I never understand people who say they'll only use ISO up to x. You guys must have amazing self control. I haven't. If I see a picture I want to take and I have a camera with me I take the picture no matter what the ISO goes to as IMVHO any picture is better than none and if it's useable, great, and if it isn't at least I tried and maybe it'll work as a mono :D

Sometimes wider apertures and longer shutter speeds just aren't the answer and upping the ISO is the only thing to do, if you want the picture. I suppose you guys just stop and put the camera away.

I've never used a Sony RX100, I went for the Panasonic TZ100 and for me that 1" sensor camera can give a useable picture at ISO 12,800. There'll be noise of course but a whole picture could well be useable.

Thinking back to my film days taking pictures in clubs ISO 1600 was if I'm remembering it right pretty noisy plus I'd be at double digit shutter speeds which were next to useless for people shots. I think I'd possibly take my Panasonic TZ100 (1" sensor compact) at ISO 12,800 with all the benefits that brings for shutter speed over anything I got from film. I know it's not the film days any more but for convenience I do think that these 1" sensor cameras can have their uses when we don't want to use anything bigger and if we can avoid pixel peeping.
spot on agree with Alan I would rather get the shot and worry about maybe having to use noise reduction later than not try
was trying to explain this to a chap last week at the zoo he was using ISO 400 , I was on 1600 which is my default for animals this time of year if the Lion is walking towards me for example there is no way that it’s possible to get a sharp picture at ISO 400
I am mostly using Canon nowadays but still use my RX100 mk 1 for family pictures

Last edited:
Back