SOOC profile style Jpegs

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Not being able to go out wandering with the camera, I have spent a couple of hours trying to get a colour style / profile , that I am happy with, when taking jpeg images. Getting a bit bored having to edit RAW files now. So I will be setting the G7X to jpeg instead, and back to RAW when the photos might be more memorable, and worth editing to be saved, such as family stuff.

I know Fuji does great sooc jpegs, but I think with a little fiddling about, other makes should also be able to produce a decent jpeg.

They can. Spend some time setting the in camera processing engine to give you results you like and it'll save you hours of messing around in PP software. Many cameras offer custom settings which can be used to apply different tweaks and so give a different look - what might suit a detail shot of a flower might not be ideal for a gritty landscape etc.. For the time being, save raw files as well as JPEGs then show Mrs Beeza the SOOC shot and your favourite PPed version and see which she prefers (or post them in a suitable area for members to choose.)

You might need to set different profiles for different lighting conditions.

I did the same a few weeks ago, I‘ve got some pretty nice presets now that I can call up and I’ve just been shooting that way since. I’m shooting a Nikon SLR though. There’s nikon software where you can amend the presets on the pc then transfer them over to the camera via an SD card. I’m not sure if canon gave that option though but I can advocate for the process!

They can. Spend some time setting the in camera processing engine to give you results you like and it'll save you hours of messing around in PP software. Many cameras offer custom settings which can be used to apply different tweaks and so give a different look - what might suit a detail shot of a flower might not be ideal for a gritty landscape etc.. For the time being, save raw files as well as JPEGs then show Mrs Beeza the SOOC shot and your favourite PPed version and see which she prefers (or post them in a suitable area for members to choose.)

I have downloaded a couple of presets from Canon, and with a couple of additional tweaks can look pretty good. Not that very far from Fuji colours, or at least from my old Fuji X10 jpeg images when in Provia and Velvia simulations.

You might need to set different profiles for different lighting conditions.

I have been using the Autumn Hues profile, and the jpeg looks pretty good, both indoors and outdoors (garden). Even indoors skin tones look pretty nice, Auto White balance seems to get it right, most of the time. I do apply an additional blue hint from the colour picker, takes two finger presses of the buttons and it is done. This seems to give a pretty nice over all colour balance. All the other colour balance options are only a button or two presses away, I am happy with the results at the moment.

I did the same a few weeks ago, I‘ve got some pretty nice presets now that I can call up and I’ve just been shooting that way since. I’m shooting a Nikon SLR though. There’s nikon software where you can amend the presets on the pc then transfer them over to the camera via an SD card. I’m not sure if canon gave that option though but I can advocate for the process!

I was half thinking to add them to my Nikon, but I don't mind the Neutral profile as it is.

I’ve never been overly fond of the built in ones hence why I was looking for others but each to their own! :) There’s a website called https://nikonpc.com/ that has quite a few to download for free. Take the sample images with a massive pinch of salt though, they’ve applied the presets to already edited photographs in some cases. You can link to your own sample image though to see what they look like on one of your images; I just uploaded an unedited photo to Flickr and linked it that way, it seemed a lot more accurate. My search goes on for a truly accurate Kodak Portra one!

For mine I started with some of the ones above and modified to taste, others I’ve just taken straight and renamed them to something more user friendly.

I’ve never been overly fond of the built in ones hence why I was looking for others but each to their own! :) There’s a website called https://nikonpc.com/ that has quite a few to download for free. Take the sample images with a massive pinch of salt though, they’ve applied the presets to already edited photographs in some cases. You can link to your own sample image though to see what they look like on one of your images; I just uploaded an unedited photo to Flickr and linked it that way, it seemed a lot more accurate. My search goes on for a truly accurate Kodak Portra one!

For mine I started with some of the ones above and modified to taste, others I’ve just taken straight and renamed them to something more user friendly.

I have tried loading some of the Nikon pre sets to my Nikon, but I was unable to do so. As I only have the entry level D3300 Nikon, and there is no function to add style / profiles to the camera. I can add styles to my Canon compact though, just as well as that is what camera I use the most.

I have tried loading some of the Nikon pre sets to my Nikon, but I was unable to do so. As I only have the entry level D3300 Nikon, and there is no function to add style / profiles to the camera. I can add styles to my Canon compact though, just as well as that is what camera I use the most.
Ahhhh fair enough :) I hadn’t realised it wasn’t on all their models!

IMG_0866.JPG

The colour profile / style that I am reasonably happy with. Can't be doing with faffing about with RAW all the time, it is just too time consuming.

Lovely for the lilies but might be less flattering on a lady's portrait!

And don't forget that JPEGs can be played with in PP. Not as much as raw files (and be careful how many save/close/open cycles you put them through!) but they'll stand some tweaking.

And don't forget that JPEGs can be played with in PP. Not as much as raw files (and be careful how many save/close/open cycles you put them through!) but they'll stand some tweaking.

The jpegs look pretty good to be honest, even a quick tone down of the colour in camera, gives nice results of the missus.

Not being able to get out and spending time indoors, I had time to tweak the colour profile a little more. I have been using Fujifilm Provia and Astia as a reference point, as those are the colour profiles I liked when shooting in Jpeg with my Fuji X10.

Looking at photos of the missus taken with the Fuji X10 and the Canon G7X with the tweaked colour profile, and they are close enough for me to be happy with. I would even go as far as saying, I think the G7X might even be a slight improvement. :)

Back