weekly Sophie - 52 for 2024 - Week 17 - Structure

I was concentrating more on focus instead of the rest of the picture. Can't win them all!
I agree the second shot is better but totally sympathise with picking the sharper shot over the nicer shot.

You did pick the right one for hard though, that structure looks great especially in B&W.

Love that shot of the paw (2nd one) and the Hard image (1st one) is well done, the B&W touch works well

Week 4 - Water - (SOOC Tech)

I had difficulty choosing an initial idea for this, until I wanted to make myself a drink! So I borrowed Mr. Browns' camera and told him what I would like to try and capture. So I have been learning about, Aperture, Shutter Speed and the uses of an External Flash (Mind Blown!!):jawdrop:

The picture I submitted was done Straight out of the Camera, no editing.

Flavoured Water SOOC
by Sophie Brown

However, the picture below is what I would have submitted if I decided to some editing in Lightroom. I like how the cordial becomes a deeper/richer colour.

Flavoured Water EDITED
by Sophie Brown

I might start a debate now, because I'm not usually one who adds the cordial to the water, I add the water to the cordial, but in order to get this shot I wanted, I had to go against my nature!:LOL:
The only thing in hindsight now I would also have done differently, is place a piece of white paper behind the glass, what do you think?

I agree that the edited shot is stronger.

As for the white paper, I wouldn't put it behind the glass, but curved from under the glass to behind the glass. I think they call it a continuous background.

Anyhow, I like your shot.

Yep - works for me :)

I agree that the edited shot is stronger.

As for the white paper, I wouldn't put it behind the glass, but curved from under the glass to behind the glass. I think they call it a continuous background.

Anyhow, I like your shot.
Oooh that’s something to have a go at another time. Thank you for the suggestion!

Yep - works for me :)
Thank you!

Lovely colours and nicely framed. I like the bubbles in the glass.
Thank you! I have to admit the bubbles were a surprise. We did not expect the adding of the cordial to do that, so it’s an extra bonus!

Yes, suits the theme Sophie, and good to hear your thought processes on constructing and executing the shot.

Soft: Another vote for #2. Images don't always have to be technically perfect.
Water: A nice capture and good composition. You're really on a learning curve... well done!

I also think the second is better, but both very good. You have managed to achieve what I think you set out to achieve. So, well done!

Yes, suits the theme Sophie, and good to hear your thought processes on constructing and executing the shot.
Thank you. I was looking at the picture again the other day, and thought if I was to do it again I might use a syringe, so the cordial was added in a smaller, more direct way. I'm wondering if it would have mixed with the water differently. :thinking:

Soft: Another vote for #2. Images don't always have to be technically perfect.
Water: A nice capture and good composition. You're really on a learning curve... well done!
Yes I'm certainly on a learning curve, but its very enjoyable. I have learnt from Soft that you are right, I don't need to be technically perfect to get the best picture, I will definitely keep that in mind more.

I also think the second is better, but both very good. You have managed to achieve what I think you set out to achieve. So, well done!
Thank you! Yes it was the image I had in mind, but will look at doing something different with the background or the way the cordial is added next time.

Week 5 - Snappers Choice

I have a love/hate relationship with Snappers Weeks, but thankfully, a very rare sunny morning got me motivated to get the bicycle out and take a ride down to the beach. With the windy nights we've been having and the recent high tides, I wondered if anything had been washed in, and it didn't disappoint. I came across a few debris piles but my favourite find was this broken tree branch.

Snappers Choice
by Sophie Brown

I usually feel the same about snappers week, nice bit of firewood there though

A good find and Snapper's out of the way.
Thank you!

I usually feel the same about snappers week, nice bit of firewood there though
Thank you! I did think to myself that if Mr Brown hadn’t been working, we would have brought the car round with the saw and recycled it for our wood burner.

Week 6 - Neat and Tidy

I work within the health sector, and have to put up with lots of cables and wires, so I admittedly have an OCD when it comes to cables in the home! So its great when I find a device that can charge my electricals wirelessly, its just a shame that Amazon haven't found a way to charge their Kindles wirelessly yet, but I can live with just the one cable on my bedside.

Neat and Tidy Charging
by Sophie Brown

Nicely arranged and shot Sophie :)

Lovely lighting and contrast and I think the vignette was a good move. Also very neat, obviously.

Snappers: Nice detritis... there certainly is a lot around after the weather we've been having.
Neat and tidy... impressive - I really like the light and shadows in this one.

That looks really good in black and whit, well done.

Very nicely done and black & white works well.
Thank you!
Lovely lighting and contrast and I think the vignette was a good move. Also very neat, obviously.
I don't remember adding a vignette when I was editing it, I think its just the way I've adjusted the shadows.
Snappers: Nice detritis... there certainly is a lot around after the weather we've been having.
Neat and tidy... impressive - I really like the light and shadows in this one.
Thank you. I've been back down to the beach recently to get my next theme picture and again lots and lots of debris washed up again.
That looks really good in black and whit, well done.
Thank you!

Week 7 - Filthy

I had a few ideas for this weeks theme, but my main idea was to go down to the beach and see if any of my friendly locals wouldn't mind me taking pictures of their dogs having fun. One couple happily agreed, and their lovely Border Collie (whose name I have shamefully forgotten!) was having a great time chasing its ball through the water. Safe to say, he/she was a very filthy dog at the end! However, its a sign of having a good day!

Mr Brown and I cycled down to the beach, so as an added bonus, I've added in our very filthy bikes, which required a hose down when we got back!

I had a good time, playing with the camera settings in adjusting the shutter speed as the Collie was very fast! After some tutoring from Mr Brown, I think I got there in the end. I also had a long lens on, so that I didn't distract the dog from its game.

Filthy Dog 1
by Sophie Brown

Filthy Dog 2
by Sophie Brown

Filthy Bikes
by Sophie Brown

Good set and I like your choice of action shot, looks like one happy hound. There looks like some good possibilities for 'filthy' with some detail shots of those mountain bikes too.

Nice set, the nameless dog :) was certainly enjoying it, and if anything like our dogs, I wouldn't worry about distracting the dog. We worry more about getting it the way and knocked over:)

I like your chosen shot, and the bikes would work well too (though they aren't quite as cute)

Good set and I like your choice of action shot, looks like one happy hound. There looks like some good possibilities for 'filthy' with some detail shots of those mountain bikes too.
Thank you. Yes I tried to get some different pictures of the bikes but I only had the one lens with me, so close ups were not coming out very well. I needed Mr Browns' Macro lens for that.

Nice set, getting filthy in order to get the filthy shot!
Thank you. Yes it was all good fun! We had our waterproof boots and trousers on, meaning I didn't have any extra washing to do! Yipee!

Nice set, the nameless dog :) was certainly enjoying it, and if anything like our dogs, I wouldn't worry about distracting the dog. We worry more about getting it the way and knocked over:)
The dog was extremely friendly, so I was suggested to stay a little further away so I could get the pictures I was after. The owners said he would have been too interested in getting to know me then playing otherwise. He was having a brilliant time!

I like your chosen shot, and the bikes would work well too (though they aren't quite as cute)
Thank you. Yes the bikes were an additional bonus, I did try a few close up shots but I had the wrong lens so they didn't work as well.

Nice little story to the photo
Thank you.

You captured the dog very nicely. I think I prefer #2
Thank you. It was a struggle picking between them, but i preferred the bigger water splashes of the first one.

Week 8 - Whole (SooC)

Found this theme to be a little difficult. I was having trouble thinking of ideas for pictures, and then during a morning walk, we went to our local lake, and found all the recent rains meant it had significantly risen. Unfortunately I didn't have Mr. Browns camera with me so it had to be from my phone this time. So I have also inadvertently done a second tech.

Whole lot of Rain & Water by Sophie Brown

Last edited:
Good idea for the theme. Water is sadly lacking where I am, so no way I could photo anything like this at the moment. I would maybe have less planking and I would need to straighten, but that's just me. As it is a second SOOC no need to do anything really.

Back