weekly Sophie - 52 for 2024 - Week 17 - Structure

Week 9 & 10 (Hidden & Texture)

I had difficulty with week 9, hence why I am catching up now, however, when I was gardening I realised that we have a hidden watering system for the hedge! Finally a light bulb moment! We purchased and planted the hedge last year, and we have been watering it regularly while it matures.

Hidden Hose
by Sophie Brown

I had a couple of ideas for texture, but I decided to stay close to home while the weather turns bad again. This is a close up of a canvas painting in our lounge. I like how you can see the rough canvas with the smooth paint over the top. Two different textures in one painting.

Texture
by Sophie Brown

Lovely textured canvas Sophie :)

Weeks 11-14 Catch Up (Personal, S&S, Unkempt & Gob Shot)

Hello All.
Sorry I haven't been around to comment or post these past 4 weeks. I have recently been on a constant spiral of being a bit low and de-motivated. Thanks to Mr Brown for putting up with me! He knew that a good long walk in the recent nice weather we've been having would help break that cycle. So I am now back online and motivated to get caught up on my pictures.

Week 11 - Personal

There are lots of things that I consider to be personal to me, but the picture I submitted signifies the relationship that Mr Brown and I have. (Warning! Soppy moment coming ;)!) He is always there for me and our wedding bands signify that. He knows all the right things to say to make me laugh, and knows how to support me when I need it.

Wedding Bands
by Sophie Brown

Week 12 - Shadows & Silhouettes

During our big walk in the sun, I decided to make use of it and experiment with the camera. I like the one I submitted as not only is Mr Brown silhouetted with the sun, but I managed to angle the camera so I could also catch the start of his shadow on the ground. It did require a bit of tweaking in Lightroom but I am happy with the result.

Shadow & Silhouette
by Sophie Brown

Week 13 - Unkempt

There is usually a helpful picnic area half way along one of our favourite walks. Unfortunately, it has recently become messy from underground water works. Trees have been felled and the area is not being very well maintained while the work is happening, so I picked this as my Unkempt theme.

Unkempt Picnic Area
by Sophie Brown

Week 14 - Gob Shot

Like everyone, I was shocked to hear about the sudden passing on Chris, aka Cobra. My thoughts are with his family and friends during this sad time. I really wanted to do justice on this weeks theme, and for me there was no better picture then one of my moggies having a big yawn! I have been keeping an eye on my furry pets so I can catch them at the right moment. Success finally came today when Lilly started to stir from the bed, and she did not fail! She must have understood what I wanted and made sure she was facing me just at the right time! (The bald patch was from a recent trip to the vets. I won't go into detail, but she had made herself very ill from hunting too much! She is now however much better.)

Lilly Gob Shot
by Sophie Brown

Great catch up Sophie, like all 4 with the silhouette the pick of the set for me as well.

Your personal pic is lovely!

And gobshot is great, glad to hear Lilly is feeling better! You've got great focus on her & brilliant timing

Wonderful catch up indeed. Your Gob Shot is terrific and Mr B's silhouette is a corker.
Thank you!
Great catch up Sophie, like all 4 with the silhouette the pick of the set for me as well.
Thanks!
A great catch up!
Thank you
Lovely catch up set Sophie!
Thanks!
Your personal pic is lovely!

And gobshot is great, glad to hear Lilly is feeling better! You've got great focus on her & brilliant timing
Thank you! I was standing by her bed for a good 20-30 minutes waiting for her to yawn!
Really nice set. I couldn't get my cat to yawn like that, so well captured!
Ha! Thanks. I was stood by her bed for a good amount of time before she yawned! I don't know if you'd call that determination or just making life difficult by not picking an easier subject!

Week 15 -Snappers Choice with Vivid Tech

I work in an Operating Theatre, so I have to spend alot of my day standing at the surgical table. To help prevent cramps and DVTs in my own legs, I wear compression socks. But because I work in a hospital, I like those socks (as well as my shoes but because they live at work I couldn't get a picture!) to be crazy and bright patterns, So here are my two pairs of brightest compression socks! I get some great comments from patients and colleagues about them!

Vivid Socks
by Sophie Brown

Vivid, and thanks for the explanation - I never would have guessed.

Niiiice :)

Nice socks and definitely qualifies for vivid, my daughter has bright socks and used to wear odd socks so when it came to the washing I’d be looking for the socks partner. I’m sure she used to do it to wind me up.

Great back story. That must cheer up lots of folk in the course of a day.

Very colourful, made more interesting by the explanation!

Vivid, and thanks for the explanation - I never would have guessed.
Thanks! Well I like to keep people on their toes where possible!
Thank you!
Nice socks and definitely qualifies for vivid, my daughter has bright socks and used to wear odd socks so when it came to the washing I’d be looking for the socks partner. I’m sure she used to do it to wind me up.
Haha! I'm not one for odd socks, but the funkier the better for me!
Thanks for the explanation. I thought they were kids' pyjamas at first. Vivid ticked, too!
Thanks! Yes I can see where your coming from in regards to the pjs!
Eye catching and functional too!
Thank you!
Great back story. That must cheer up lots of folk in the course of a day.
Thanks. Yes I do find it puts a smile on my patients faces whenever they catch a glimpse of my crazy shows and socks! Good talking point and can distract them from the anxiety that they have before their anaesthetic.
Very colourful, made more interesting by the explanation!
Thank you!
Nice work, and good take on the theme!
Thank you!

Week 16 - Empty

For this week, I originally wanted to get a picture looking down the currently closed Southport Pier towards the beach. They usually only have a set of gates closing it off, however, when I turned up today, with it being quite mild and sunny, I found they have boarded over the gates. :mad: So I had to find other inspiration. This is a picture of the Lakeside Miniature Railway. As we are not on a bank holiday weekend, or in the middle of summer I don't think it was running today.

Empty Track & Platform
by Sophie Brown

I like that! B&W suits it very well.

A little crop off the LHS would remove the bin, but still leave the front of the bench and might be a little better?

But, as it is, very nice.

Nice mono and perfect for the theme.

+1 for Paul's crop.

I love that tracks shot - perfect for the theme, good use of mono.

Bit inconsiderate boarding up the gates :) , nice track shot though and processing suits the picture

Very effective, I like it. To crop or not to crop, hmmm, on balance I'd probably have done the crop.

Perfect for a mono shot. I like the inclusion of the bridge that leads you right into the distance.

Week 17 - Structure

I can't go on top of the pier but I can go under it! Southport Pier, opened in 1860. It is Britain's second longest pier of 3536 feet / 1078 meters. Currently having works done on its 'structure'.

Pier
by Sophie Brown

Back