sorry I feel a stupid question

jolsterj

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Does a hand held light meter tell me what to set my aperture at and iso etc?

if NO what does it tell me to do?

it wont tell you what iso to set .you tell IT that ,,,,,,then it will tell you what aperture and shutter speed.

ok so if I tell it iso 400 it will then tell me the aperture and shutter speed needed?

Sorry to be thick. lol

ok so if I tell it iso 400 it will then tell me the aperture and shutter speed needed?

Sorry to be thick. lol

yep , thats about it , but you have to have an idea how to use it though ,,like you'ill need to know what part of the scene you need to meter for if using it in reflective ,or you could use an incident reading ....

here is an older style weston light meter ,,,as you can see the needle at the top says 13 ,so set the red arrow around the outside to 13 ,then you can read off the f-stops against the shutter speeds ,ans use the one you want

001_.JPG

as you can see , shutter speeds around the outside , f-stops the next one in

Thanks for the help.

It has become a little clearer ha ha, would anyone on e bay be fine because the prices are sooooo different.

when i asked my mentor a stupid question the said

"there are not such things as stupid questions ..... only stupid people asking questions"

:)

ask away .... im with you on this :)

sorry , ive never used evil bay ,so no idea ,

why do you need a handheld meter ?

could you not use a digital camera ?

Handheld meter takes an incident reading which measures how much light is falling on a point, not how much is reflected from a point. It's far more accurate and consistent.

You can get similar results from your camera by taking a reading from the palm of your hand and adjusting the exposure based on your skin colour (palms don't change much with tans, etc so give a nice level of consistency).

Palm trick or meter, you still need to take the reading from the same light as your subject for it to be correct.

sorry Andy i mis understood what you meant ,,,,got it now , sorry

when i asked my mentor a stupid question the said

"there are not such things as stupid questions ..... only stupid people asking questions"

:)

ask away .... im with you on this :)
I prefer to think there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.

sorry , ive never used evil bay ,so no idea ,

why do you need a handheld meter ?

could you not use a digital camera ?

ok If I set my iso to a certain number where does it tell me on my camera what to set he aperture/shutter at?

I have a Nikon D40x.

thanks

Back