SOS Skate Jam

Name
Matt Thomas
Edit My Images
No
These are some of the photos from the SOS Jam which happened on the 17th August 2008, to help to try and save this DIY skate park

Shots Photos -

2800958312_1160710c91_b.jpg

2800108453_a2bd3d2fc5.jpg

2800955962_433fe14447.jpg

2800955218_1d86babdcf.jpg

2800954472_4c421444fe.jpg

2800953654_111ca0f17d.jpg

2800952888_d28e3a31a5.jpg

2800952400_d7b512d902.jpg

2800951836_6e9515719d.jpg

Hope these photos give you some idea of what the event was like. To view the whole set click here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cherryrig/sets/72157606967153880/

All shot on Nikon FM2n - 50mm f/1.8AIS and Fuji Superia 200

Saving the skate park seems like a good idea. Of the images I prefer #2. I think they are in need of a little lift to introduce some drama.

In my view you are a little too far from the action (or need a longer zoom), the action doesn't take center stage in these images. IMO there is too much 'other stuff' happening in the photos.

I do like the last two images you've posted, I like the composition.. maybe would've been cool to have a skater in the second to last image.

So, my advice is to get more close up to the action - and I had a quick look at your website... and you've got some cracking shots there. So you don't really need my advice.. just these shots didn't work for me..

In my view you are a little too far from the action (or need a longer zoom), the action doesn't take center stage in these images. IMO there is too much 'other stuff' happening in the photos.

I do like the last two images you've posted, I like the composition.. maybe would've been cool to have a skater in the second to last image.

So, my advice is to get more close up to the action - and I had a quick look at your website... and you've got some cracking shots there. So you don't really need my advice.. just these shots didn't work for me..

The reason for the far away shots was to show the scale of the event. This was skateboarding event with basically no help from the council, big skate shops. Just run by skaters, therefore I used the wider shots to get a view of the amount of people who turned up to the event. If had done some of the shots like on my website then I would have had a board in my face all the time and the flashes would be no more.

Not every skater shot have to be a close crop just to show the board, I hate the one view people have of skateboarding photos. I think some photographers should pick up a skateboarding and see what a real skate photo is sometimes, its not always close up crops. I'm not aiming this at you I just hate it when I hear "get closer"

Also the second to last image is telling part of the story of the comp that went, those to skaters were having a head to head battle in a game of SKATE, hence why the shot was taken like this.

Thanks for the feedback thou

The reason for the far away shots was to show the scale of the event. This was skateboarding event with basically no help from the council, big skate shops. Just run by skaters, therefore I used the wider shots to get a view of the amount of people who turned up to the event. If had done some of the shots like on my website then I would have had a board in my face all the time and the flashes would be no more.

Not every skater shot have to be a close crop just to show the board, I hate the one view people have of skateboarding photos. I think some photographers should pick up a skateboarding and see what a real skate photo is sometimes, its not always close up crops. I'm not aiming this at you I just hate it when I hear "get closer"

Also the second to last image is telling part of the story of the comp that went, those to skaters were having a head to head battle in a game of SKATE, hence why the shot was taken like this.

Thanks for the feedback thou

Fair enough, and I did only later notice that you were more trying to capture the crowds and not trying to focus on the 'action'.
And I can see why the 'get closer' comment might get you a little annoyed, suppose there is nothing worse than trying to make all shots look the same. (and maybe I was a little 'guilty' of that in this case..)

And knowing absolutely nothing about skating.. hence my comment on the second to last image. But thanks for correcting me on that one...(y)

Back