Soundbar for PC?

Edit My Images
No
I think I raised this before but sometime back.

So, to refresh as I now have an Amazon voucher (as a birthday gift earlier this year) to use it makes sense(?) to buy a soundbar from there....but which one on the surmise they sell one to meet which I think is good???

USB powered and wired not BT. NB the USB could be via a small mains power brick.
As for audio power....is 1W per speaker too low or is it best to get one @ 5 W per speaker?

User recommendations please.....have not put the voucher in so no idea of its value but spend of say £30 to £50 'ish?

TIA :)

If you have the space then forget soundbars and treat yourself to some compact active speakers. Edifiers start at £57.

Even the new mail notification from outlook sounds great on the ones I have.

If you have the space then forget soundbars and treat yourself to some compact active speakers. Edifiers start at £57.

Even the new mail notification from outlook sounds great on the ones I have.
Thanks for the reply

Space is very limited (on the desk) unless I put a couple small shelves on the wall!

Having said that, if the Edifier range as a whole is very good, they do have a soundbar https://www.edifier.com/product-mg300.html though I wonder if the built in mic can be isolated?

Unlike other BT soundbar I have spotted, the Edifier one can also be USB connected:)

PS off to see the Edifier speaker sizes ;) which model do you have?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply

Space is very limited (on the desk) unless I put a couple small shelves on the wall!

Having said that, if the Edifier range as a whole is very good, they do have a soundbar https://www.edifier.com/product-mg300.html though I wonder if the built in mic can be isolated?

Unlike other BT soundbar I have spotted, the Edifier one can also be USB connected:)

PS off to see the Edifier speaker sizes ;) which model do you have?
1280s. I got the DBs so I can connect to Bluetooth and wire to pc and Xbox. They have gone up 20 quid in the 2 years I've had them :)

The TS are cheaper but even open box they are going to blow your budget.

Just had a look round and the R1000T4 would be in budget.

However, their size and the advised 1.5M separation & 1M distance is challenging.

I fully appreciate the quality that good speakers can yield (IIRC I still my pair of Mission speakers in store but unused for decades) but on my setup/space I think I am stuck with a soundbar.........a case of which make & model (NB Amazon have the MG 300 but only sold by & supplied by a 3rd party merchant :( )

@piper

Thanks again for the link.............

I have ordered a different model the Bowfell Plus, this has a sub woofer and measuring up the soundbar will fit nicely under the monitor and the SW I can find space for as appropriate :)

I love Edifers.

Whilst sound bars can sound good, when you look at physics they have a number of tiny little speakers inside to try and replicate the sound of a big speaker.

It’s a bit like a tiny camera sensor trying to replicate a bigger sensor or a 1L car engine trying to match a 4L car engine.

It can be done to some extent but as ever there ain’t no replacement for displacement and a bigger speaker is bigger for a reason!

I love Edifers.

Whilst sound bars can sound good, when you look at physics they have a number of tiny little speakers inside to try and replicate the sound of a big speaker.

It’s a bit like a tiny camera sensor trying to replicate a bigger sensor or a 1L car engine trying to match a 4L car engine.

It can be done to some extent but as ever there ain’t no replacement for displacement and a bigger speaker is bigger for a reason!
I take your point about size mattering but as I am replacing a set of old Creative Audio PC speakers......anything by degrees will be better ;) As I see for the price, unit sizes and apparent quality the Bowfell Plus fitted the bill.

PS back in my school days, we had technology workshop and made various valve items including audio amps and super het radios. But one of my friends decided he wanted to build his own speaker......he put IIRC 4 units into the cabinet (also made in the woodwork class). It was huge and very heavy the one hurdle was how to get it to his home?

He ended up having to cut the case down by about a third (remaking the front panel to accommodate 3 units not the original 4) to get it to fit into his mother's Ford Anglia. The sound was "big" :LOL:

I have a Dell Soundbar and tbh the microphone array and audio quality are superb for work and casual audio listening.

The only downside is mounting it under the screen as my monitor doesn’t have the right clips and if the soundbar sits on the desk the audio is not great as you can imagine

Back