South African Airways....

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Came back from 2 weeks in SA this morning having flown overnight from Cape Town. Thought I was going to be stuck in Cape Town for at least another night after being lied to by SAA....

We were among the first to the airport and the check in queue for the flight. Before getting to the desk we were stopped by a SAA man to say that there was a problem with one of the engines on our plane home and it was uncertain if it would leave on time or even if it would go at all. Being a caring airline they had arranged an alternative route to avoid the waiting - internal flight to Johannesburg, Air France to Paris, some other flight to Heathrow.

Fortunately (as it turned out) we refused the deal and said we would wait on the repair, checked in and went to the departure lounge.

2 hours later - great news... the flight will be leaving on time :D

Get on what is obviously a smaller plane and pilot then explains there never was any engine fault. The 250+ seat airbus plane was damaged by a loader at Heathrow and never came to cape town. The only plane they had was smaller so 80 passengers had to go. The lie was to get them to go of their own free will and not be eligible for compensation (he didn't say those words but he clearly wasn't happy with his employers)!

Once they had the 80 diverted they dropped the lie so later passengers did not know about the 'faulty' plane.

I would like to go to SA again some time but it will not be via SAA!

:puke::shake::annoyed:

Sorry to hear about that Rob. Glad to hear you and Jill back home safe and sound(y)

I suppose the airline business is the same all over but that kind of thing does tend to p*** one of somewhat.

Pity that had to be the last S.A. memory you took with you:shake:

Sharing any S.A. piccies soon?:nuts:(y)

Sharing any S.A. piccies soon?:nuts:(y)

They are all RAWs. Processed some yesterday but still felt a bit shell shocked after a night with not much sleep in an airplane seat with much less legroom than expected. Should be more alert today and get more done.

They are all RAWs. Processed some yesterday but still felt a bit shell shocked after a night with not much sleep in an airplane seat with much less legroom than expected. Should be more alert today and get more done.

Can't wait to see:D

Glad to hear you will come back - pity about the SAA experience.

Next time we meet I promise to bring my toys too. I think subconsciously I decided not to bring them as I did not want the little bit of time meeting you folks to centre around kit.

My wife reckons I have a way of doing that type of thing...:whistle:

:D

I went flew to Joburg from Perth back in January and on the flight out I was horrified at the service, I was in business class so expect some sort of standard but it was shocking. The flight back was a little better service wise.

I did think the business class seats were a lot better then the Qantas business class seats I normally travel in.

Exactly same thing happened to us when we came back from Sri Lanka in 2006! Still it was worth it for the free night in Dubai and all the extra shopping :)

Back