South Stack trails and some stacking issues.

Name
Aaron
Edit My Images
Yes
A bit of an unplanned night last night but I noticed the forecast was clear. I headed over to Anglesey to get this shot, one I had wanted to get for a while. The wind was howling and it was pretty cold, I had also been up 16 hours by the time I got there and had an hour drive home so didn't stay too long.

I shot them all in RAW, 20 seconds, f2.8 ISO 5000 on a 6d with a Sigma 17-35 2.8-4. I edited the images in Lightroom, a bit of straightening, contrast and shadows and exported as Jpeg. When I put them into Photoshop to stack them, the end result was poor. There was a checked pattern running through the image. I ended up putting the unedited images into photoshop and stacking before editing the finished version. I did try the process in StarStax too but ended up with the same result.
Has this happened to anyone else before?

Strange pattern:

Stax Checked
by A_Cro, on Flickr

Finished image:

Starry south stack
by A_Cro, on Flickr

And another from last night:

Portrait of South Stack
by A_Cro, on Flickr

I really should have headed to the north of the island as I have seen some Aurora shots captured last night from North Wales.

Hi, I like the last shot the most, star trails dont do anything for me, anyway, I see a red blur in the 3 shots here, I find it distracting, what is it?

Hi a good effort on No. 2. You got the North/South divide running diagonally down the center of the frame. Shame about the 2 planes though. Did the squares in number one appear on all the images or just the stacked image? Also with No. 1 the stars seem to be getting larger/brighter the further they go into the stacking process making it look odd as well.

Hi a good effort on No. 2. You got the North/South divide running diagonally down the center of the frame. Shame about the 2 planes though. Did the squares in number one appear on all the images or just the stacked image? Also with No. 1 the stars seem to be getting larger/brighter the further they go into the stacking process making it look odd as well.

The squares only show up once the image was stacked. It happened using both Starstax and Photoshop, but only on images that I'd edited.

In the first one I had the settings in Starstax as Gap filling and using Comet mode, so you get a bit of a tail to the end. The second shot was just using lighten mode.

I tried lighten on the edited collection and it came out with the same pattern so I'm assuming it's to do with the images being edited first.

Back