Wales South Wales

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys i'm based in Swansea and was wondering where are the best places to go for waterfalls,nature etc around my location? I'm prepared to travel about 30-40miles out of my way so that's not gonna be a problem. I'm just new into photography and was after some advice off the people with more experience and knowledge to point me in the right direction.

Thanks....Jason!

I guess they may sound weird coming from a guy who live in Saudi Arabia, but you have amazing numbers of waterfalls so very close to you in Swansea!

Neath valley (Pontneddfechan) would be my number one spot ... I think 5 or 6 waterfalls there. On your way to Neath, Resolven has a few that are 10 minutes walk from the car park off the main road.

There are many more, but I can't recall their name / locations right now, sorry; but these two ought to get you on the right track.

I guess they may sound weird coming from a guy who live in Saudi Arabia, but you have amazing numbers of waterfalls so very close to you in Swansea!

Neath valley (Pontneddfechan) would be my number one spot ... I think 5 or 6 waterfalls there. On your way to Neath, Resolven has a few that are 10 minutes walk from the car park off the main road.

There are many more, but I can't recall their name / locations right now, sorry; but these two ought to get you on the right track.
Thank you,much appreciated

The ones mentioned near Resolven are the Melin Court waterfalls, There are also some in Aberdulais, some more in Coelbren, and more again between Pontneddfechan and Ystradfellte. There are also some caves just outside Ystradfellte that maybe of interest, even if you only go as far as the entrances. There is a visitors centre in Pontneddfechan just by the Angel pub, which does very decent pub food. Another good pub in the area is the Abercrave Inn, not far from Coelbren.

Theres plenty of great waterfalls around the Glyn Neath area, find your way to the Angel pub in glyn neath and theres a waterfall centre oposite with maps etc. Theres a good few within walking distance of the pub and lots more a short-ish drive away.

http://www.beacons-npa.gov.uk/visit-us/information-centres-new/waterfalls-centre-pontneddfechan

Head up towards Ystradfellte from glyn neath for the reast of the falls.

http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/brecon-beacons/ystradfellte-falls.html

To save confusion, the waterfalls that Wayne refers to are the ones i mentioned above as being in Pontneddfechan.

EDIT

You may see Pontneddfechan on a map as Pontneathvaughan (its Anglicised spelling....)

Last edited by a moderator:
To save confusion, the waterfalls that Wayne refers to are the ones i mentioned above as being in Pontneddfechan.

EDIT

You may see Pontneddfechan on a map as Pontneathvaughan (its Anglicised spelling....)
Thanks really appreciate your feedback

Hi Jason, did you go in the end? Im waiting for better weather before I take my kit out.

Hi Jason, did you go in the end? Im waiting for better weather before I take my kit out.
No not had a chance yet with work then the terrible weather we've had! Gonna try and get up there this wkend sometime... What about you?

No not had a chance yet with work then the terrible weather we've had! Gonna try and get up there this wkend sometime... What about you?
Once my studio (shed) is built i'll be all over it. The weather is rubbish for anything at the moment :(

Hi Jason,

Have you looked up Brecon way? I know its a little out of your area but there are some stunning waterfalls there. Particularly Sgwd Yr Eira. (just south of Clyngwyn Bunkhouse & B&B - SA11 5US). There's also a walk that you can do that passes at least 4 waterfalls. Give us a bell if you're heading up there and want company.

Once my studio (shed) is built i'll be all over it. The weather is rubbish for anything at the moment :(
Hi Mark,
I went up too Pontneddfechan 2wks ago when we had that one dry day on the wkend,I had some nice photos of the falls but I think with some more practice they could be much better,I also went up without a tripod and remote (again down too experience) so I'm on the case to buy them now and when I go up again will hopefully have some nice shots.

Hi Jason,

Have you looked up Brecon way? I know its a little out of your area but there are some stunning waterfalls there. Particularly Sgwd Yr Eira. (just south of Clyngwyn Bunkhouse & B&B - SA11 5US). There's also a walk that you can do that passes at least 4 waterfalls. Give us a bell if you're heading up there and want company.
Hi Tim,

Thanks for that I'll defo pencil it onto my list and will let you know when I'm going up,it'll be helpful for me having some one who's experienced to help me out.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that I'll defo pencil it onto my list and will let you know when I'm going up,it'll be helpful for me having some one who's experienced to help me out.

Experience? I wouldn't go quite that far. Last time I went up there I dropped my camera in the river! But yes, I'll be up for a trip.

Let me know when you guys are in the area and I will tag along if thats ok

Back